Gender?

JJByrd

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
North Dakota
This is my 6 month old Red Burboun. I had been thinking it was a hen, but was just being very aggressive to my Bronze that I am sure is a male. Any insight is appreciated. Also wondering on this bronze naggaraset. The other 2 have larger/longer snoods, deeper color to head and green in tails so know they are toms. 20171107_160923.jpg 20171107_160942.jpg 20171107_160332.jpg

This is my 6 month old Red Burboun. I had been thinking it was a hen, but was just being very aggressive to my Bronze that I am sure is a male. Any insight is appreciated. Also wondering on this bronze naggaraset. The other 2 have larger/longer snoods, deeper color to head and green in tails so know they are toms.View attachment 1181415 View attachment 1181416 View attachment 1181417
Your Bourbon Red is a hen as well as is your Bronze a hen.

When you cross a Bronze and a Narragansett the only difference between them is that the Narragansett has the Narragansett (n) color gene. It is a recessive sex linked gene. If your hen had the Narragansett color gene it would be displayed since hens only get one copy of the gene. Yours is a Bronze hen because she does not have the Narragansett color gene.

When a Bronze tom is crossed with a Narragansett hen the results are all hens are pure Bronze and all toms are Bronze toms carrying the hidden recessive Narragansett color gene. When a Narragansett tom is crossed with a Bronze hen the results are all pure Narragansett hens and all toms are Bronze toms carrying the hidden recessive Narragansett color gene. Of course this only works if the originals are pure and are not carrying hidden recessive color genes.

Last edited:
Thank you. And thanks for The explanation on color. I was going on what the seller said they were as poults. These are my first turkeys so still learning.

Back
Top Bottom