Flirting or fighting - turkeys

Bolfreak

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 26, 2011
I have 6 turkeys in a mixed flock (ducks and geese). Flock Tom is Al my RP. I kept some hatchlings from him and my main hen, Narr Bill, a hen from April (Bob) and a jake from June (Moscú). I also introduced two adult hens this summer for colors, Sweetgrass Fergie and Blue Cal Ann.
Moscú’s brother was Thanksgiving this year and now Moscú is six months old. He hangs out a lot with Fergie (1.5 yrs old), which is fine because that should get me colorful and sex-linked poults yay! skipping the need to have my RP breed her of which I’d only keep a Sw tom for future breedings.
Bob is sitting on duck eggs and Ann is lowest in pecking order and doesn’t interfere with anything. I added pics of the behavior that happens every morning. It starts with Fergie and spreads to Bill and even Al. Is it age? weather? flirting or fighting? I’m concerned they’re trying to separate him from the flock as a young jake since there’s only one barn for them to sleep in protected from predators and they completely free range during the day. If it’s just reestablishing order as he grows, is this going to be a constant deal? I’ve also read Narr toms can be extra aggressive, so if there’s a problem like that, he’ll go to freezer camp since my RP tom is very well behaved. TIA!
They circle around eachother trying to make eye contact and make a cooing noise.

Attachments

• IMG_6509.jpeg
    IMG_6509.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6510.jpeg
    IMG_6510.jpeg
    595.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    963.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6512.jpeg
    IMG_6512.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6513.png
    IMG_6513.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
I have 6 turkeys in a mixed flock (ducks and geese). Flock Tom is Al my RP. I kept some hatchlings from him and my main hen, Narr Bill, a hen from April (Bob) and a jake from June (Moscú). I also introduced two adult hens this summer for colors, Sweetgrass Fergie and Blue Cal Ann.
Moscú’s brother was Thanksgiving this year and now Moscú is six months old. He hangs out a lot with Fergie (1.5 yrs old), which is fine because that should get me colorful and sex-linked poults yay! skipping the need to have my RP breed her of which I’d only keep a Sw tom for future breedings.
Bob is sitting on duck eggs and Ann is lowest in pecking order and doesn’t interfere with anything. I added pics of the behavior that happens every morning. It starts with Fergie and spreads to Bill and even Al. Is it age? weather? flirting or fighting? I’m concerned they’re trying to separate him from the flock as a young jake since there’s only one barn for them to sleep in protected from predators and they completely free range during the day. If it’s just reestablishing order as he grows, is this going to be a constant deal? I’ve also read Narr toms can be extra aggressive, so if there’s a problem like that, he’ll go to freezer camp since my RP tom is very well behaved. TIA!
They circle around eachother trying to make eye contact and make a cooing noise.
He is strutting - trying to impress the hen.

Back
Top Bottom