gender ?

Dang it! I was all happy thinking I may have been able to help. On the plus, I never thought of using the leg color to identify, and as I result of this post I can tell my 8 week old White Maran and White Leghorn chicks apart. :cool:
Awww, you're doing a wonderful job helping out! :) Love the enthusiasm. :thumbsup Identification is truly a group effort.

~Alex

It can be difficult, especially when there are multiples of the same breed! :lol:

Haha! I find it difficult when I have only one of several different breeds - there's nothing to compare them to!

I think sexing is just difficult in general. I *think* I ended up with all pullets (emphasis on the *think*). But I won't be super surprised if I hear crowing coming from the coop soon. My birds are only 10 weeks old.

I read every sexing thread in this forum. Some days I think I lucked out and got all pullets. Other days I get sad thinking I'm going to have to rehome a roo... or two.

on the flip side, if they are pullets you can use the color of the egg to narrow down what mixes they come from!
from experience, i have a similar situation...i thought she was a leghorn...but she is larger, and lays light cream colored egg. my guessing continues...
but i just found a white wyandotte, perhaps that's my cross!
good luck on your search.

this is why im so confused
They are pullets getting ready to lay soon, this is usually the age their combs start developing fast and turning red. Take my White Plymouth Rock for example, she is a hen now but in the picture below she is younger than yours.
DSC08258.JPG

Not to mention you would definitely see cockerel behavior in yours at this point.

Back
Top Bottom