danielmurphy20

Hatching
Feb 13, 2023
hi all
i bought a emdem gosling last year and it is almost a year old,
it has 2 saggy bits under its belly and i have discussed it with people i know and they said it’s a thing females get?
does this mean it’s a goose or a gander?
thanks

The fat lumps under the goose doesn't actually determine the gender. Females usually hold their head down and have a higher pitched honk, while ganders hold their head high, stretch their neck, and have a more raspy honk. There is a slight weight/height difference, but it's not always reliable to go off of. Females won't start laying eggs until they're about a year old and up. They lay large oval shaped eggs that feel like sand paper. Both females and ganders can mount to either mate, or to assert dominance ( females only mount to assert dominance. Ganders mount to mate or dominate. ) Do you have a video and picture of the goose honking/walking around? That would really help. :)

Last edited:
hi all
i bought a emdem gosling last year and it is almost a year old,
it has 2 saggy bits under its belly and i have discussed it with people i know and they said it’s a thing females get?
does this mean it’s a goose or a gander?
thanks
Could you post a picture of your goose?

The saggy bits are called lobes and they’re loose actually fat folds. Unfortunatly they aren’t a good way to identify sex in geese, that’s an urban legend I’ve heard.
Geese can have one long lobe running the center length of their body, two loves positioned in front of their legs, or any number of combinations of both. Sometimes certain breeds will be known for different types of lobes, but I’ve seen ganders and geese with both.
For example my ganders Parsnip, Strawberry, and Helios have two lobes. My gander Leo, Roxby and Darby have one lobe. My girls Delphi, Dandelion, and Tuesday have two lobes, my girls Apricot, and Friday have a weird mix lobe thing going on, but Apricot leans heavily on having one lobe. Friday used to have one lobe....she gained a lot of weight 😂 and my old goose Izzy had one lobe.

Males tend to have longer necks in proportion to females, males also have a differing voice.
Males make their loudes honk in a single syllable, like a foghorn “AAAAAAAAAAH”
Females use multiple syllables in their loudest honk “AhAhAhAhAh.”

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom