Gender?!

eoliverpeck

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
Maryland
I got this white chicken and another one a couple months ago. As they are growing I've noticed this chicken is looking....different, bigger comb etc. I haven't heard a crow and wasn't sure when rooster start to crow.
[/IMG]

It's the white one.

The white bird in front is a leghorn hen. She looks like she's laying or very close, and she'll give you big white eggs like crazy!
Leghorn hens fool lots of folks into thinking they're roosters cause they have that huge comb, but that's normal for the ladies.

The white hen in the back in the second pic looks like an Ameraucana or Easter egger.

I agree with everyone else in saying it's a hen. At about five months of age, one of my leghorns (both hens) had a BRIGHT red comb. The other one... was still pinkish-yellow! I didn't think she would ever turn red! But I bought them both from McMurray Hatchery, so I knew there was a 90% chance that I had two hens, and no rooster. And sure enough, they're both laying like crazy now - jumbo white eggs.

So they may look slightly different, but you still definitely have a hen. Another dead giveaway is the fact that her hackle and saddle feathers are all smooth and hen-like. You would have noticed a major difference in those feathers at her size, if she were a rooster.

So today I got a nice big white egg (assuming its from the leghorn) among my brown eggs from my buffs and production red girl. Now just waiting on my easter egger/americauna (not sure what she is lol) to start laying. So mystery SOLVED. Phew, roo's are illegal in my county unless you have over an acre and im on 1/2. Thanks for all the responses, y'all made me feel SO much more confident.

Back
Top Bottom