chickenteacher2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
Desert, S. CA

I got the 2 black ones from the feed store. One is supposedly a Barred Rock and the other a Black Sexlink. The black one with the shorter tail - boy???? It's at the top of both pics. It's a bigger chick than the others, heavy. The other 2 seem to have bigger tails, the Buff Orp and the "Barred Rock."

I am pretty sure that neither of those are barred rocks, or even plymouth rocks at all.

And I am not sure if they are black sexlinks, if they are then you should get 100 percent sexing rate as they are color sexed at hatch

Edited for grammer and spelling.

Last edited:
Oops I accidentally hit submit.

Anyhow...... sometime pullets look like they are getting a roo tail but in reality it is a girl. I have several hens that have a more curved tail. As they get older roos get a much much more curved tail. So when they are young the tails can be decieving.

If you are still worried about having a roo as they get older look for comb development, saddle feathers, and hackle feathers.

Hope this helps

If I remember correctly, a Black Sex Link roo would look a lot like a Barred Rock so at hatch he would be black with a white dot on top of his head and would eventually feather out to have a pretty overall black and white barring pattern. Black Sex Link pullets hatch out black with a few patches of white (but not on the top of their head) and when they feather out they will be black with predominantly red and a little bit of black neck feathering. So safe to say you don't have a Barred Rock chick as it would have a pretty overall black and white barring pattern starting to come in by now. It really looks to me like you have two Black Sex Link pullets and a.....? I have no experience with Buff Orpingtons so couldn't tell you on that one. At this stage you can't go by tail size alone to determine sex but if the 2 black ones are Black Sex Links they are automatically female because they have no dots on their heads. My suggestion is to wait another 4 to 6 weeks and post new pictures of your chicks. By then it will be much easier to determine sex and breed more definitively. Hope this helped a bit?

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I think you are right. I have 2 Black Sexlinks. I know at the feed store they were hopping over the barrier into the other pens of chicks, but they looked different to me. I will post pics in 2 weeks. :)

I the 1st pic is that 5 toes on the buff birds feet or is that a toe from the other foot behind it? I cant tell.

Looks like a buff orp to me, though if it does have 5 toes I can't think of any buff breeds with 5 toes. I hope you get more opinions, But again it looks like an orp to me.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom