Genders of 4 chicks and 1 unknown breed

Becchicks

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2022
Hello everyone

Hoping I can get some help with sexes. And breed of one because even the breeder couldn’t tell me. I’ve been told they’re 3 weeks old. We’re all very in love with them. I tried to get some good pics they’re currently under some light.

1. Voldemort unsure of sex or breed.

5E143739-9FA9-4F88-9DDC-5760B679C600.jpeg

327794F0-05C3-43B0-86FA-BE066CA3AA15.jpeg
234F5436-ED6E-4A43-94E7-EF7E665F29CF.jpeg

No 2. Cluckers buff Orpington unknown sex?
FA025706-BCB4-4275-ADC1-B83E65E523DA.jpeg
BD40B404-CF72-4F68-84FD-A5EAD2D85096.jpeg

9EF0A654-C6E9-41DE-8BAB-61EBB081CE67.jpeg
Number 3 venom
Plymouth Rock

705963BE-A636-4A84-AF42-D286387E9A65.jpeg
0B509B2E-6B13-4BE0-AB6A-FFBF6B39BF1F.jpeg
9ADA8497-2A52-48BE-9BA6-2B85E2FCD3D1.jpeg

And last but not least chick Norris speckled Sussex. Unknown sex?

66B756F9-BDEE-48CB-97DF-770E427D4CD1.jpeg
A2A0235A-CF7E-448D-8956-40E33FCB0432.jpeg
7E555486-119A-4BCA-855A-5BA9B02FD0A9.jpeg

Thankyou so very much for any help.

Are they from a backyard breeder? I suspect the first one is a buff Orpington cross. The barred rock has dark legs, so may not be purebred. The Orp and Sussex look right for their breeds.

I think it is too early to sex them. 5 weeks is the earliest, usually, to start sexing, so it would be a good idea to post again when they reach that age.

Are they from a backyard breeder? I suspect the first one is a buff Orpington cross. The barred rock has dark legs, so may not be purebred. The Orp and Sussex look right for their breeds.

I think it is too early to sex them. 5 weeks is the earliest, usually, to start sexing, so it would be a good idea to post again when they reach that age.
Thankyou!
No not a back yard breeder. She actually came highly recommended to me from others in the area (I drove over 40 minutes each way to get them) They’re fully vaccinated and she had quite a set up. I think this one threw her. I thought he looked different from the rest (noticeably different)
She said she thought these were all girls but I’m starting to worry. I didn’t think we would get attached so quickly.

Oh yes, the BR is definitely not pure. She has white skin, BRs are supposed to have yellow.

Unless the breeder vent sexed them, she wouldn't be able to guarantee anything. They are TOO young.

Thankyou!
No not a back yard breeder. She actually came highly recommended to me from others in the area (I drove over 40 minutes each way to get them) They’re fully vaccinated and she had quite a set up. I think this one threw her. I thought he looked different from the rest (noticeably different)
She said she thought these were all girls but I’m starting to worry. I didn’t think we would get attached so quickly.
Even good breeders can have mix ups and get a crossbred bird now and then. Nothing wrong with crosses at all. They should lay just as well and be just as healthy.

As far as gender goes, try not to worry about it now. Just enjoy the chicks as they are now because it doesn't last too long. When the time comes, we can help you sex them, and there are resources for rehoming roosters, if need be.

Oh yes, the BR is definitely not pure. She has white skin, BRs are supposed to have yellow.

Unless the breeder vent sexed them, she wouldn't be able to guarantee anything. They are TOO young.
FA8150A9-6DD5-4899-B77E-3DEBEA782940.jpeg
12BB179F-7538-4653-8E60-A76DADD6E7E6.jpeg

Not sure if these help :)
Thankyou for taking time to reply

Even good breeders can have mix ups and get a crossbred bird now and then. Nothing wrong with crosses at all. They should lay just as well and be just as healthy.

As far as gender goes, try not to worry about it now. Just enjoy the chicks as they are now because it doesn't last too long. When the time comes, we can help you sex them, and there are resources for rehoming roosters, if need be.
I’m not too concerned about cross breeding if it happened as long as they’re healthy.
We definitely have been enjoying them and will continue to care for them. Hopefully in a few more weeks we can tell a bit more.
The breeder has offered to take Roosters back and care for them. She had a few free roaming her property. It’ll just break my kids heart I think,

I’m not too concerned about cross breeding if it happened as long as they’re healthy.
We definitely have been enjoying them and will continue to care for them. Hopefully in a few more weeks we can tell a bit more.
The breeder has offered to take Roosters back and care for them. She had a few free roaming her property. It’ll just break my kids heart I think,
Yes, it is difficult. Maybe a little advance warning to the kids might soften any potential blow.

No way for her to guarantee a gender for those chicks. I don't see any roosters yet.
Some are definitely crosses.
Update us as they grow! 😊

Back
Top Bottom