General Advice/Experience Thread :)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LuvMyBLR, Jun 1, 2011.

1. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    So basically I've wanted to get into meat chickens for a while and now it's looking serious. So this is just a general advice and story thread. Share your biggest bird ever, what % feed you use, How long YOU think the food shifts should be (e.g. taking the food at night, leaving it all day), pictures of your chicken tractors, and even funny stories. Looking forward to seeing the posts! [​IMG]

2. LuvMyBLR

LuvMyBLR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    Oh I forgot. Something I'm wondering about, do you think whether it's a male or female makes a difference in the meat?

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    you should read some of the back threads here, and the stickies at the top, a lot of you questions are answered right on the first page.
    [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
  5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My only advice is always wear shoes around meaties, not flip flops. Mine peck my toes HARD! They free range with the rest of the chickens and are trying their best to kill me. They stay under my feet to where I can't walk without tripping and I am convinced if they actually get me down they will have my bones picked clean in 2 seconds flat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by