general color genetics questions

eastercreek

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Benton, LA
We currently have 16 chicks all ranging from 3-7 weeks. Although it would be a perfect world if they were all pullets...there is a good chance they are not. The folks on the Polish board did a great job answering my questions about GL and SL Polish breeding....but Id like to list some scenarios and get some answers for the rest..if there are any sex linked characteristics on the potential offspring please describe-as well as list potential color of offspring and if you have pictures that would be fabulous.

what would you get if you crossed...

Barred Plymouth Rock Roo(from Ideal Hatcheries) and a cornish or california white hen-maybe a leghorn??(not sure what it is yet..but it is a white bird with single red comb and white earlobes with pale yellow legs from Privett Hatchery via TSC)
Barred Plymouth Rock Roo and a Production Red or Golden Comet sex linked hen(also not sure...from Privett Hatcheries as well via TSC)
Barred Plymouth Rock Roo and a "hawk" colored EE hen ...brown with black eyeliner and black markings on brownish red feathers(green legs)
Barred Plymouth Rock Roo and a yellowish white EE hen(currently yellowish white with a little gray on wings at 3 weeks-green legs)

Hawk colored EE roo(green legs) and a cornish, california white, leghorn mystery hen
Hawk colored EE roo(green legs) and a production red sex linked hen (privett hatcheries variety via TSC)
Hawk colored EE roo(green legs) and a Plymouth Barred Rock Hen

Cornish/california white/leghorn from Privett(see above description) rooster with Production Red sex linked hen(privett hatcheries variety thru TSC)
Cornish/california white/leghorn roo with an EE hawk colored hen
Cornish/california white/leghorn roo with a Plymouth Barred Rock Hen
Cornish/california white/leghorn roo with a yellow/white EE Hen with green legs

I do realize that EEs are mutts...but hopefully there may be some standard results with certain pairings anyway?

If I do end up with any roos(could potentially have one of the white birds as a roo, one Plymouth Barred Rock as a roo, and one EE as a roo) I would like to decide how I should separate them in to breeding arrangements if I am unable to rehome any of them.

Thanks for any info/pics! I am excited about the answers!

Quote:
wow...this is a confusing site...made more confusing by the language differences! I am sure you long time chicken breeders can use it easily...but it did nothing but confuse me! Ill spend a little time on it later and see if I can make anything of it. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
wow...this is a confusing site...made more confusing by the language differences! I am sure you long time chicken breeders can use it easily...but it did nothing but confuse me! Ill spend a little time on it later and see if I can make anything of it. Thanks for the link.

It was in english right? It is for me. haha,I have only had chickens for less than four years...and been breeding for even less than that.
lol.png

Ok, The Barred Rock roo x California White hens would result in about half barred and half ghost barred.
Barred Rock roo x Golden Comet would result in basically the same but with possible red leakage.
Barred Rock roo x "Hawk EE hen would result in barred birds with possibly some red leakage.
Barred Rock roo x white EE hen would probably result in half white with faint barring(ghost barred) and half barred with possible red leakage.

Quote:

Confusing questions need confusing answers.
wink.png

What language difference?
he.gif

You can ask a million crosses but I, for one, am not going to answer them. The chicken calculator would if you are willing to use it.
Figure out what genes your chickens have and enter.

Short and not confusing answer: mutts

lol.png
Henk69 - good answer.

In general, you're going to get barred chickens, white chickens, and chickens with a color similar to your "hawk colored" Easter Egger.
smile.png

Quote:

Confusing questions need confusing answers.
wink.png

What language difference?
he.gif

You can ask a million crosses but I, for one, am not going to answer them. The chicken calculator would if you are willing to use it.
Figure out what genes your chickens have and enter.

Short and not confusing answer: mutts

Thanks Henk69 for trying to make me feel like an idiot.....sometimes I bang my head against a wall
he.gif
when answers such as that are given. I have seen several questions posed to breeders on this site that are answered politely...and several that are not. I prefer the polite answers I may add. My post did mention that I was going to try to go figure it out when I had more time....and just fyi...the site I pulled up was not in English. if there is an option to request English...I will find it and work with it. I do know I will be getting mutts. What interests me is if any particular bird would pass on traits. I have no intention of showing or selling birds. This is for my pleasure only.....

Ryan...I appreciate you taking the time to link me to the site and also to provide info on the gene for the white birds because I would not have known that. Thanks for your help.

Just fyi....I am a breeder myself...of 1500 lb animals. I realize that breeders have knowledge about subjects that the average animal owner does not. I joyfully welcome the opportunity to assist folks when I am asked about horse genetics-or anything horse...and operate with the opinion that no question is a stupid question if it can help a person out. Ill continue to frequent the BYC boards because I have learned so much already here....I just prefer to not get arrogant answers with head banging as though Im stupid . We are all on here to learn.

Nederlandse versie, veel meer genen toegevoegd

This is just a sample of some of the language on the site...sometimes when I click the link it is in this language and sometimes in English now that I have looked at it a couple of times.

The link Minnesota gave you is completely english. I removed all dutch. That's why the headbanging.
People keep calling it german. I don't get it.

The overview page is dutch and english. Dutch parts are color coded for easy skipping.

Sorry, I mistook you for a cheatsheet person.
My point to these people is. Don't memorize, you will never remember all the million possibilities.
Figure out the principles and you are halfway.

There is a dutch bird board. One asks a question "what do you get...", and gets an answer eg "green", no explanation.
I don't get that either. I must be the idiot here...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom