General gender question

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
What is the latest people have had roosters develop and get red combs and wattles for most breeds but specifically curious about EE and Ameraucana.
Picture is for attention as I know she’s a hen. More just curious.

Attachments

• 83216EA6-6493-4AE0-AFC8-77A090DBB8AA.jpeg
    83216EA6-6493-4AE0-AFC8-77A090DBB8AA.jpeg
    1,018.9 KB · Views: 30
No experience with either of those to breeds, but with other breeds I should say around 15 weeks.
What is more confusing is that many pullets will also be getting red combs around that age. Interestingly, I had one cockerel that did get quite a red comb, but hardly got any pointed saddle feathers by 20 weeks. (they would normally get them around 10 to 12)
No need to remove the photo, she is a very pretty girl!

No experience with either of those to breeds, but with other breeds I should say around 15 weeks.
What is more confusing is that many pullets will also be getting red combs around that age. Interestingly, I had one cockerel that did get quite a red comb, but hardly got any pointed saddle feathers by 20 weeks. (they would normally get them around 10 to 12)
No need to remove the photo, she is a very pretty girl!
Thanks. I love her colouring. She is way more skittish then all my other girls though.
Wow 15 weeks is a long wait and like you said by then the pullets combs are turning color. My girl in the picture will be 13 weeks on Monday and I’ve already started to notice her comb is darkening.

I'm not exactly sure because it was quite a long time ago, but I got chicks in June or July, harvested the known males -- packing peanuts who were quite obviously male -- sometime in October and had a Light Brahma "hen" "turn into" a cockerel a couple weeks later. 🤣

I'm not exactly sure because it was quite a long time ago, but I got chicks in June or July, harvested the known males -- packing peanuts who were quite obviously male -- sometime in October and had a Light Brahma "hen" "turn into" a cockerel a couple weeks later. 🤣
Yep that’s what I feel like is happening here too. Lol

Back
Top Bottom