General Pigeons questions

Layira

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
So funny story for y'all. I was at a chicken show this past weekend with my boyfriend who is brand new to the whole world of chickens and the like. So after getting my chickens cooped in for the show, we decided to take a look around at the sale cages. I wasn't planning on buying anything, but I'd brought an extra box just in case. (that was my first mistake XD ) Anyways, he spotted a cage with about 6 pigeons in it and immediately runs over to look. Now for the rest of the day he's chattering on and on about how I should get them. Though I was adamant at first, before I knew it I'm putting three pigeons in my box, much to my boyfriend's contentment.

I have always admired pigeons but I don't know anything about them and I have three very beautiful Modena pigeons in a dog crate in my barn. The guy I bought them from gave me some very generalized information but nothing as to accomodations or such.

So here's what I think I know...please correct me if I have been misinformed.

Pigeons can be housed with chickens, won't return to the coop because I didn't raise them, and can eat layer pellets. (That's the extent of my knowledge at the moment)

So I have questions: (I apologize in advance for how many there are but I could't find very much in all my research)

Do they need specific feed? If so, commercial or should I mix my own?

What are their space requirements? (I think I saw 2 sqft per bird somewhere)

Can they be housed with chickens or will they be attacked? (I've heard both so I'm not sure)

Nest boxes...how big? With perches in front or not? (I heard they need nest bowls?)

Any other information regarding their care would be greatly appreciated, or links to where I can find it would also help. I'll be posting pictures soon, I'm very excited to be introduced to these gorgeous birds!!

I Feed Mine A Laying Pellet They Do Just Fine . There Are Pigeon Feeds But Depending Were You Live It Could Be Higher I Feed It Because The Birds Can' T Pick Out There Favorite Seeds And Leave The Rest To Waste If You Do Go With Grain They Will Need Grit Just Like Chickens. Some Birds Can Be Raised With Chickens But You Need To Make Sure They Are Able To Eat And Drink Without Being Bothered By The Chickens . Pigeons Prefer Perches Rather Being On The Ground . Free Flying Your Birds Could Be Fun To Watch But Hawks And Other Predators Like Pigeons. A Side Note Modenas At One Time Were Flown Like Flying Flights In Theifing Competions . Pigeons Raise There Young From Day One Sitting Feeding And Careing For The Young They Do This In Pairs One Male One Hen Extra Birds Can Cause Problems . Size On Pen Depends On Breed 3feet By 4 Feet 18 Inches High Will Do For A Pair Of Modenas A Large Dog Feed Bowl With Pine Needles And Shaveings Make Good Nesting Another Nest A Bucket Cut Four Inches From The Bottom Will Work Just Something That Will Not Tip When Birds Is On The Edge. The National Pigeon Club Site Is Npausa.com

They are very easy to raise and a lot of fun. Chivken feeds are fine but if you can add some grain its even better. They love milo,but a good scratch grain beats nothing.
They can be kept in individual pair pens or a "loft" ,a room where they can fly . Mine have an indoor breeding room and an outside attached flypen about 8x15x 6 foot high.
They can be with pigeons but its best not to when you try breeding them. The chickens will try and lay with them and break their eggs, and when they hatch the chickens think they are morsels of food!
They will nest anywhere from a flat board to paper mache bowls . A wooden box at least 9 inches square screwed to the wall works great,I like to attach a board at leats one to two inches wide for them to land on and perch on.
Also once they have a nest and babys you can turn them loose(if its safe from hawks) and they will not leave. Until then they may fly off. Heavy nbreeds like modenas can't fly home but might try and then get lost or tire out.
Like the previous person said try and get pairs till you get a big flock because single birds do cause prooblems,just like people!lol
Have fun and enjoy them,they are potaoe chips you can't stop with just a couple!

I know a guy that has his pigeons and chickens in the same coop/loft. Works just fine for him (pigeons roost near the roof and chickens stay near the ground).

Feed: you can feed them wild bird seed/feed. It's not the best stuff, but it will do. Most folks prefer a pigeon mix or at the very least supplement the cheap stuff to raise the protein levels a bit. I think I read that 15% protein is about right and most of the cheap stuff is closer to 10%.

For the nest boxes, a popular size is about 1 foot high x 1 foot deep x 2 feet wide. The idea is to "lock" the breeding pair in there and to give them room to raise their young. Therefore you want to give them ample room. Some folks will actually lock them in there to keep the other birds out and thus insure that they get the correct birds matched up. Other folks simply let em mate where they want (and with whom) and therefore they don't go through the trouble of making individual nest boxes (they simply provide a nest bowl and/or nesting material and let em do their thing). As far as the nest bowl issue. Not required, but seems a lot of folks do provide them (you can buy special made ones or just get a large dog food bowl at the dollar store).

A nice website forum is Pigeon Talk (try google)

Hope It Helps

Pigeons can be housed with chickens?
Yes, but the young birds[under a year old might get attacked. Small chickens bantams shouldnt be that much of a problem

The pigeons won't return to the coop because I didn't raise them?
Yes and No, If they raise squabs [baby pigeons] and have a mate at your place, Put them in a cage that will let them see the outside soon they should know their new home.

Can pigeons eat layer pellets.
There is this one type of food that can be feed to both pigeons and chickens along with some seeds.

Do they need specific feed? If so, commercial or should I mix my own?
It depends on what you want to do.

What are their space requirements? (I think I saw 2 sqft per bird somewhere)
2 sq feet is right.

Nest boxes...how big?With perches in front or not? heard they need nest bowls?
24 by 24 inches is huge for my pigeons. My Perches are box perches[sqare] my are 12 by12 inches .Two nest bowls per pair.

Other Information
Its best to buy pigeons in pairs
Sites
Sloberknocker Lofts
Minnesota Pigeon Fourm
Pigeon Talk
Minnesota State Pigeon Association Its a club

Thanks for the information everyone, this really helps. It's amazing how difficult it is to find info even on the internet. So far, we've decided to copy the design of an old rabbit hutch I had, with a few modifications specifically for the birds. They really are very interesting birds to care for, that's for sure.

Oh, Modenas are so cute! I'm sure you'll love them
big_smile.png
You can let them out in a few weeks. But keep an eye out for hawks as Modenas aren't the best fliers around. They're a bit slow.

Back
Top Bottom