Genes, Legs, Feathers... What? This bird is killing me.

delawaregirl09

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Between that stump and you
I have a pullet that is a mix between a Buff Orpington Rooster and a Red Star hen.... soooooo..... why does she have green legs? There were about four pullets like her, but no roosters or anything like her
roll.png

The Dad:
38360_chickens_010.jpg

What the moms looked like:
38360_twister.jpg

The pullet and her brother:
38360_ffa_085.jpg

The pullet:
38360_ffa_103.jpg

38360_ffa_111.jpg

Could anyone know about this? I just dont know what to do.

I do not see her legs being green!They are a litle slate from Sex Link mama but skin is white like her father's.

Im not sure, there were only 3 or 4 with the bluey slatey leg color, as they grew. They were white then changed. I'm not sure if there were more since I sold a bunch as chicks. Also, the brother in the pic above, I think he sired some babies in my group because three of the chicks have slate legs, and one is actually more green.

The rooster (father) carries the sex linked dermal melanin gene and a sex linked dermal inhibitor gene. Because he is heterozygous (split) he can give the gene that causes the blue legs (dermal melanin gene) to his daughters and his sons. The blue legged birds have white skin. All of the offspring from the first cross carry a recessive yellow skin gene so if the offspring are crossed with a yellow skin bird- some of the offspring will have yellow skin and green legs.

Tim

Last edited:
Great answers.My mind was thinking in elementary terms like Yellow plus slate blue greyish equals green. I need to get up more on the genetics.

Back
Top Bottom