Genesis 1588 problems

TexasVet

Songster
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
Willis TX
I just got my new Genesis 1588 incubator yesterday and promptly put 20 duck eggs into it. But the high-pitched noise it's making is driving me nuts! Will it go away, or tone down, after a few days? If not, has anyone found a cure for it?

2nd question... I've already dropped the top onto my eggs (luckily without damage) because it's so heavy and there aren't any handles or lift areas on it. Has anyone come up a modification for this? Because I'm hand-turning the eggs, I need to open this thing at least 3 times a day.

Kathy in Texas

Mine doesn't make a high pitched noise either. Wonder if there is something wrong with the fan that would cause it to make that noise?
Either way good luck with your ducks!!!

Quote:
Mine sounds like a dental drill. I put up with it throught the first hatch, while it was in my bedroom. After the hatch, I took it apart and could find nothing wrong with it. I think you and I just got lucky. You do get used to it after a few weeks.
tongue.png

I guess it depends upon your hearing as well. Mine is a quiet, but medium pitched hum. Alto, not soprano! The best thing I ever did was put it in a room where no one goes. It also keeps me from hovering too much. That IS why it's called a HOVA-bator, ya know!
lau.gif

The top is a bit awkward- I dig my fingernails, or what's left of them, into the styrofoam a little, and move the top up and back so it leans against the wall when I have to open it. It's easier to lower it gently from there.

I highly recommend a turner, especially if you have a birthday coming up.
big_smile.png

Both of mine just hum. Its not so loud as to keep you from sleeping though. I got 6 eggs going i as checking fertility on and its sittin in my bedroom. I ran a fan in my bedroom almost 24/7 and even when its off it doesnt bother me. I can read a book wihtout any problems.

Thanks for the feedback! Mine is definately not humming; it's a high-pitched squeal. Much like the dental drill sound someone else described. My husband can't hear it, so it's certainly a range-of-hearing issue. I'm going to move it out of the kitchen and into the laundry room before it drives me crazy.

I think I'll write to the Hovobator folks and suggest they add two styrofoam handles to make lifting the top easier, too. It's probably just an issue for us soon-to-be seniors who don't have the dexterity or hand strength that we used to. I'm forever dropping things lately.

Kathy in Texas

PS: We girls hear the same high-pitched noise from hard drives, the TV, and the refrigerator too. My husband thinks we're loony tunes, but we know we hear it!

Mine sounds like one of those model airplane kits that fly. Drives me nuts!
barnie.gif

It's a short ride!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom