Genetic Culling

madamwlf

Nevermore Acres
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Mount Airy, MD
For the ones who breed and show, what do you do with birds that obviously flawed? I don't mean the ones who don't meet standards but more like the ones who are deformed in some way. I have 2 silkies. One has developed a slight cross beak and the other has a hooked beak. It hooks to the right and it's quite noticeable. I've been trying to find someone to take them for free but having no luck. Do you put them down or what? I don't have the room to take care of special need chickens. I would like to breed silkies and hopefully show them next year. So what do you do with slightly deformed but otherwise fine chickens?

dont kill them just for that,
fl.gif

Last edited:
Most professional breeders cull discreetly. I am not a professional breeder per say but I have a person that takes all my culls for food and I get my feed costs back out of them.

You could make dog food. That or I trade with the Amish, they do work or trade produce for my culls. They eat they.

Quote:
Some would have possibly put them down at birth if noticeable, some would try to find homes and if not then put them down; others may would just eat them if big enough.

Up to you which route you take; different people have different culling methods. I'm not going to tell anyone how to handle their birds in that situation, threads like these go down hill at times because people post from their heart (even though they are not showers, or breeders usually) and don't really try to help.

Quote:
Some would have possibly put them down at birth if noticeable, some would try to find homes and if not then put them down; others may would just eat them if big enough.

Up to you which route you take; different people have different culling methods. I'm not going to tell anyone how to handle their birds in that situation, threads like these go down hill at times because people post from their heart (even though they are not showers, or breeders usually) and don't really try to help.

I completely understand. I was just trying to get an idea what others do. And I'm hoping others don't take it there with the whole compassion thing. I'd like to find them homes but if I can't I'll do what I have to.

Back
Top Bottom