Genetic/ possible color combos with this breed colors

IveGoneQuacky

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2015
Hello, looking for a bit of advice on the following breeding as I'm still trying to figure out the genetics. This is my guess and looking for conformation that this is what color combos are so I can let my buyers know. /these are being sold as layers

1. Rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over buff orpington hen = buff chicks
2. rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over lavender cuckoo = half lavender cuckoo and half lavender
3. rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over black = black solid

Is this correct?

thanks

I’m not familiar with the Isabal Cuckoo Orpington genetics but I’ve looked some on the internet. I’m still not totally sure what’s going on genetically. Cuckoo should mean sex linked barring. That means white bars on the feathers. Isabel is supposedly Lavender over gold which dilutes the gold to more of a cream color. I thought Lavender only diluted black but what I read said it also dilutes gold. I’m not totally sure that is correct.

Lavender is a recessive gene. For it to have an effect it has to be paired up. That means both parents have to have Lavender.

So if I have that right, which is questionable because of Lavender diluting Gold:

1. Rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over buff orpington hen = The rooster should be pure for barring so all his offspring should be barred. The recessive Lavender is split so it should have no effect. The gold in the rooster with the Buff in the hen should give you some shade of red, probably a kind of orange-red. So I’d expect all chicks to be Red Barred.

2. rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over lavender cuckoo = Both parents are barred so all chicks will be pure for barring. The Lavender hen is lavender over black which should dominate the gold in the rooster. Both parents are Lavender, so I’d expect all of the chicks to be Lavender Barred.

3. rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over black = Again the rooster should be pure for barring so all his offspring should be barred. The recessive Lavender gene is split so it will have no effect. I’d expect all chicks to be Black Barred.

Hopefully someone with genetic knowledge of Isabel will chime in. I really don’t trust what I read.

Back
Top Bottom