Genetics color questions

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Third silkie hybrid hatched yesterday and it is blue! (first two were black). I did not expect this. I assume this means that my white cockerel is "hiding" blue in his genetics. In that case all chicks from this pairing should be black or blue, right? I have 3 more eggs from these same parents in the hatcher, due to hatch tomorrow. Will be exciting to see what colors these are.
One of my splash ameraucana eggs is developing on day 13, so I set some more of hers, due to hatch on Christmas day. If my cockerel is hiding blue, then could get some splash hybrid chicks!

I have a question then about my blue partridge silkie pullet. If my boy is indeed hiding blue, what chicks would I expect from this pairing? I could not find an option for blue partridge in the kippen calculator.
Thanks for any input.🥰
E4312029-2948-4626-B631-D1065A42DE91.jpeg
82469F77-94EA-43FA-AF61-F77B0472F03D.jpeg
302FDD68-4349-4382-9419-7688F25D162B.jpeg

Third silkie hybrid hatched yesterday and it is blue! (first two were black). I did not expect this. I assume this means that my white cockerel is "hiding" blue in his genetics. In that case all chicks from this pairing should be black or blue, right? I have 3 more eggs from these same parents in the hatcher, due to hatch tomorrow. Will be exciting to see what colors these are.
One of my splash ameraucana eggs is developing on day 13, so I set some more of hers, due to hatch on Christmas day. If my cockerel is hiding blue, then could get some splash hybrid chicks!

I have a question then about my blue partridge silkie pullet. If my boy is indeed hiding blue, what chicks would I expect from this pairing? I could not find an option for blue partridge in the kippen calculator.
Thanks for any input.🥰
View attachment 2439330View attachment 2439331View attachment 2439332
It's also possible it could be your black hen is carrying blue. But yet your rooster maybe.
It'll only be proven if you can breed your rooster to a different black hen.

Blue partridge is able to be created in the calculator. I use it alot.

Also, what would I expect crossing him with my blue partridge silkie pullet? Planning this in the spring. These hybrids were test breedings to determine best I could what my cockerel is carrying in the way of colors.
He was also paired with a splash and a dominant white. Thanks!😊

Also, what would I expect crossing him with my blue partridge silkie pullet? Planning this in the spring. These hybrids were test breedings to determine best I could what my cockerel is carrying in the way of colors.
He was also paired with a splash and a dominant white. Thanks!😊
If he's carrying blue, & he's bred to blue partridge you can get some splash partridges/calico, or you may get splashes with some leakage. Not all the chicks will be splash though. Some maybe black, or blue.

If he's carrying blue, & he's bred to blue partridge you can get some splash partridges/calico, or you may get splashes with some leakage. Not all the chicks will be splash though. Some maybe black, or blue.
That sounds awesome! Can’t wait till spring to see what happens. Thank you so much for your help I do appreciate it!
In the meantime these little hybrids are really cute and I already have buyers for all of them so life is good!😊

Back
Top Bottom