Pics

Attachments

• 20220226_090720.jpg
    20220226_090720.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220226_090453.jpg
    20220226_090453.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 5
these are all from black Copper Maran over my Easter Egger who is heterozygous for both pea comb and blue egg. I'm trying to determine if it is the grey chicks who will have heterozygous pea and the dark chicks who have straight.
For the two pictures you posted first: yes, the light one has the heterozygous pea comb, and the dark one look single (straight) to me.

At least for me, it's easier to tell in pictures by looking straight at them (like the lighter one) so I can see whether there are extra lumps on each side, instead of looking at the side of the comb (darker one.)

For the next three, I see one I'm not sure, one single comb (dark chick, cockerel), and one more het. pea (light chick in a post by itself.)

Thank you! The two light ones have similar combs and the dark ones have similar combs (no nodules on the side). It's quite a coincidence that the only grey ones got that comb, and all the dark ones got the other comb. I didn't think there was a link between feather color and comb type.. is there???

It's quite a coincidence that the only grey ones got that comb, and all the dark ones got the other comb. I didn't think there was a link between feather color and comb type.. is there???
There are a few feather-color genes that are linked to some of the comb genes, but I don't think any of them would have caused what you're seeing.

I'm seeing blue (grey) and black, and the gene that causes blue is not considered to be linked to the pea comb gene (or any other known comb gene.)

With just a few chicks, it's pretty common to have coincidences that look like they ought to mean something but actually don't.

Thank you! The two light ones have similar combs and the dark ones have similar combs (no nodules on the side). It's quite a coincidence that the only grey ones got that comb, and all the dark ones got the other comb. I didn't think there was a link between feather color and comb type.. is there???
It's just a coincidence

Back
Top Bottom