Genetics Gurus Please Help! Working Towards True Breeding Olive Eggers

Pics
Yes and quite a straight forward matter
How would you go about doing it? Let's say my original post involved not legbars but ameraucanas, would that work?

We know how to cross for a first generation all olive eggers and back cross to a dark brown roo (or hen) for darker olive eggs and brown eggs, and cull the brown egg layers. What next?

We know how to cross for a first generation all olive eggers and back cross to a dark brown roo (or hen) for darker olive eggs and brown eggs, and cull the brown egg layers. What next?

If you are happy with the dark color of the first generation backcross(BC1, as F1 x Parent line = BC1) Select the Olive egger hens and cross them with their BC1 Brothers) from that cross(BC1 x BC1) you will be looking for homozygous O/O hens and homozygous O/O males

P = Parent line(in this case Marans)
F1 = P x Ameraucana
BC1 = F1 x P
BC2 = BC1 x P
F1BC1 = BC1 x BC1

Last edited:
Ok so we will know the BC1 hens will carry the olive egger genes because they'll be laying either green or brown and we select the green layers, but their brothers we won't know that about right? How will we know if any given male from that outcome is O/O? Or is that where pea comb comes in?

I guess you'd have to save a bunch of roos and breed them to a brown or white egg layer and wait for the offspring to grow up and start laying. Whatever rooster produces hens with all green laying eggs would be your one in 4 O/O. You'd get two O/o and one o/o.

Where am I going to keep all these boys? LOL

but their brothers we won't know that about right? How will we know if any given male from that outcome is O/O? Or is that where pea comb comes in?
Thats right, males with pea comb have about a 94-96% chance of inheriting the O mutation(Oocyan blue eggshell) if you cross P/p+ females(BC1) with their bothers which are also P/p+ you will end up with 50% P/p+(kind of floppy pea comb), 25% p+/p+(single comb) and 25% P/P(very well formed small pea comb) those birds(males and females) have a 94-96% chance of being both O/O which will enhance the color

Back
Top Bottom