Genetics of White Eggs

I have looked into the Laminas. I am not sold on them but am definitely considering them. Do you know more about them?
Yeah, I know some more about Lamonas, though not much more.
55 Flowery Hens are basically a type of Leghorn so that sort of makes sense. They’d make a good crossing bird, but with what, I don’t know. Lamonas are really rare and I would never condone you crossing them if you somehow did manage to acquire them, because that would definitely not be helping the breed.

Yeah, I know some more about Lamonas, though not much more.
55 Flowery Hens are basically a type of Leghorn so that sort of makes sense. They’d make a good crossing bird, but with what, I don’t know. Lamonas are really rare and I would never condone you crossing them if you somehow did manage to acquire them, because that would definitely not be helping the breed.
Agreed

This is what I have in mind so far:
Pen 1: Dorking roos over Leghorn hens
Pen 2: Dorking roos over Minorca hens
Pen 3: Ameraucana roos over Leghorn hens
Pen 4: Ameraucana roos over Minorca hens
I would select and keep only pullets from these pens. Selecting for smallest combs, large size, lightest eggs and friendliness. Of course some exceptions will have to be made at first. I almost didn't want to use the Dorkings due to their tinted eggs but I see their size, winter hardiness, and calm demeanor as important contributions to the project. I decided on Dorking roos for breeding as the hens tend to be stubbornly broody. I may change my mind about this. Pullets kept from these pens will be bred to a Leghorn or Minorca rooster for the white eggs. Possibly a 55 Flowery Hen rooster for color. If I am short on pens I may keep both Leghorn and Minorca hens in with their Dorking or Ameraucana roosters but would like to keep them separate at first if possible. While researching breeds I got into more rare and obscure birds and I simply don't want to use these more endangered birds. The breeds I've chosen are common enough and each come in at least a few colors. I am happy with them for now lol

This is what I have in mind so far:
Pen 1: Dorking roos over Leghorn hens
Pen 2: Dorking roos over Minorca hens
Pen 3: Ameraucana roos over Leghorn hens
Pen 4: Ameraucana roos over Minorca hens
I would select and keep only pullets from these pens. Selecting for smallest combs, large size, lightest eggs and friendliness. Of course some exceptions will have to be made at first. I almost didn't want to use the Dorkings due to their tinted eggs but I see their size, winter hardiness, and calm demeanor as important contributions to the project. I decided on Dorking roos for breeding as the hens tend to be stubbornly broody. I may change my mind about this. Pullets kept from these pens will be bred to a Leghorn or Minorca rooster for the white eggs. Possibly a 55 Flowery Hen rooster for color. If I am short on pens I may keep both Leghorn and Minorca hens in with their Dorking or Ameraucana roosters but would like to keep them separate at first if possible. While researching breeds I got into more rare and obscure birds and I simply don't want to use these more endangered birds. The breeds I've chosen are common enough and each come in at least a few colors. I am happy with them for now lol
Ameraucanas, I never thought about that. Blue eggs will be easy to breed out. Good thinking. I would caution you about Dorking comb size though. They tend to be large like the Mediterraneans. Too bad the rose-combed ones only come in white.

Ameraucanas, I never thought about that. Blue eggs will be easy to breed out. Good thinking. I would caution you about Dorking comb size though. They tend to be large like the Mediterraneans. Too bad the rose-combed ones only come in white.
Yes for the first few generations the large combs will be hard to manage I'm sure. Hoping the pea comb of the Ameraucana and actively selecting for the smaller combs will be enough to reach my goal. Most likely will need supplemental heat until I get at least a few generations in I'm thinking.

Back
Top Bottom