Genetics people I need Help!

Teresa- thanks for your generous offer. I would be very interesting in trying to hatch some gold laced orphingtons, and be willing to pay the costs incurred for the veternary expenses if not to high.
If I remember correctly, did we not just have a post somewhere on countries that it was banned to import from? Memory fails at thsi point.

Ok, I was on another forum and they were talking about orpingtons. They said that the bantams were a cross of a buff orp and a GL wyandotte. The white skin and legs are dominant over yellow skin/legs. They bred out the rose combs over 3 or 4 generations. Also, if you tried a GL cochin with poorly feathered feet(possibly hatchery stock), it would take 3 generations to get clean legs with stubs, 4 generations to get clean legs. If you choose cochins, you will get the big fluffy body like they have in the netherlands.

Hi everybody - what a friendly welcome I have had from you lot of Orpie mad people - thank you so much, and I must congratulate those who had set up this forum (relaunched today I believe) because it is joy to use - so user friendly! Very, very good indeed!

I will go out with my camera tomorrow and post some pictures as soon as possible.

Cynthia - is your single comb Dotte a gold laced? Would love to see a photo of her.

Teresa

Oh, no, she's a Silver, sorry. ((slaps head with palm)). We're talking gold laced Orps, here, Cyn! So many hatchery Wyandottes pop up with single combs here in the U.S.. Every batch seems to have one or two of them. I purchased day olds and out of three SLW girls, one had a single comb.

Well then Cynthia - that sounds marvelous. There is your basis to make a silver laced Orp (unless someone else has already done that in the USA). We have a breeder who has developed them here in England, but she is still perfecting them and they are not for sale yet.

As for which colour Orp to cross her with - no doubt there are forum readers who know about genetics - possible a white cockerel over the silver laced dotte girl to begin with? Or possibly a blue/black/splash cockerel - I expect you have a few of these already?

Incidentally, I am venturing into blue - will have breeding pen next season with 2 splash pullets, 1 black hen, 1 black cockerel. I also have Jubilees - I have been reading some more of your lovely forum and see that Jubilees are about as rare as hen's teeth also in the US!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my Blue Orpington cockerel, Suede, but I never thought about pairing them up. I think Suede would run for his life from Lorelei, LOL. Lorelei is one of my original flock and she thinks of Suede as an upstart youngster. Bet she could scare that big blue turkey! Here is Suede:
DCP_8068.jpg

What a great conversation! I would love to get my hands on a Jubilee Orpington!! I also cant' believe my eyes with the picture of the GL orp. What a beatiful color and size!

Back
Top Bottom