Genetics people I need Help!

I asked a few other people about this on another forum and was told to use the Wanydotte. Im so going to start this in the spring....first have to locate good stock, but I do have a few breeders in mind.

Very interesting topic.....Looks like Speckled Sussex pattern to me on the Jubilee Orps and the Sussex have single combs AND pink legs...might take a few generations to succeed in getting Jubilee Orps.

Sounds like the Jubilee Orps are more like the Speckled Sussex...hey, Cyn, can you throw your Sussex with your Suede??????

Just eye candy all around.....cant wait to see what other BYCers got plans for their Orp breeds. I envy the English neighbors of their birds...they are all beautiful.

Hi you guys - lovely to see such enthusiasm. There are breeders here working on new colours continuously - this season the Lemon Cuckoo Orp has been making big money at the sales - have you got any Cuckoo Orps over there in the States? I believe the Lemon Cuckoo probably involves inbreeding the Buff and the Cuckoo. This may seem obvious, but it would be money well spent to invest in the very stock to give you a good start - an Orp from a show winning breeder and a well-grown Wyandotte - larger the better because one of the challenges down the line will be getting your new-colour Orps up to the correct weight. Our partridge Orps here have that problem - too small and still showing the Wyandotte influence and shape - but it does give us an interesting challenge working to improve them towards the Orp standard. For those who don't want to or are not able to do the initial bit of making the colour, getting some birds later which need improving can be equally fascinating.

I hope to see lots about this adventure some of your may be embarking on!
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Teresa

ps have you got silver and gold laced Cochins over there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Teresa! Yes, we have gold and silver laced Cochins, but not the Cuckoo Orps, that I've ever heard about. Not much imagination over here, LOL, except among us dreamers who oftentimes dont have the resources to make things happen.
Ewesheep, I'd love to throw Nelda in with Suede. I'd rather she be there than with the Ameraucanas, but she'd probably get beaten up pretty good by jealous Velvet. I'd love to try to get her out of the Ameraucanas to make room for some Cree line pullets I hope to be hatching in the near future for Scout to improve the lines of my Ameraucanas. Could be an interesting match.

Hi Cynthia - sounds like you may be having a breeding adventure next season - will be exciting to hear about it. From what I have been told/read, people could use gold laced or silver laced Cochins instead of the Wyandote, but it would take a few years to breed out the feathered legs etc back to Orp type and shape. Likewise with the Barnevelder - this could be used, but it would take a while to select against those yellow legs. To my mind, though, if anyone already has Cochin/Barnevelder, it is worth a go, because it is a long-term project anyway, using the Wyandotte, getting the all-over body lace pattern and breeding out the Wyandotte shape to get back to the Orp standard. I am no geneticist but possibly an advantage with some people using Cochin/Barne is that if they swop eggs 2 or 3 years down the line, to head off inbreeding problems, the birds will be reinvorated with the different bloodlines.

Quote:
I know of a breeder here that is working on the cuckoo she has them 2nd generation. She did have them up to 4th, but some coyotes got in and killed alot of her birds. I asked her about hatching eggs and of course she doesnt sell them. Im going to the Feather Fanciers show to maybe buy some of her blue and black stock, if she brings any. So there are people out there even if they dont want to share. LOL.

Yep, that's why I said "that I know of" because when someone starts working on a breed variety project, they keep it pretty much under wraps until they are really ready to unveil it. No telling what interesting projects are going on right under our noses, LOL.

Not really into Orps, but I do know they are supposed to be a looser feathered breed, like cochins. Wouldn't it be easier to use the cochins-that already have single combs and fluffy feathering? That way you are working out just one problem-the leg feathers-instead of two. Just thinking out loud here. I really never like Orpingtons, but that first bird IS gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom