Genetics question - blue chick with red spot on head

ag29ande

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
Delanson, ny

I wanted to run a test hatch for fertility - currently have BBS and chocolate Orpington hens in with a blue, black, and lavender cockerel... From my hatch one of the chicks from the Orpington pen is blue with a red dot on its head .... Is this leakage? Odd recessive gene popping up? This is the first time I've had this pop up! :/

Looks like tic is missing chick down there. Have the other chicks been pecking it on the head?
Best,
Karen

I wanted to run a test hatch for fertility - currently have BBS and chocolate Orpington hens in with a blue, black, and lavender cockerel... From my hatch one of the chicks from the Orpington pen is blue with a red dot on its head .... Is this leakage? Odd recessive gene popping up? This is the first time I've had this pop up!
hmm.png
just a wild guess but could be a dark brown restricted chick. Normally the red will show on the face.

No barred birds. The yellow chick and one of the black chicks are from an east Egger hen, the other 4 hatched from my Orpington pen.

I know this is an old post, but I thought I’d ask anyway: Do you have any pics of the grown chicken? I just hatched a similar chick - blue with a red/copper spot on the head. The father is a black copper marans, and the mother is a Brahma/silverudds/mix hen (splash). As chicks, none of them had any copper/red colouring.

I actually have one like that right now. It’s a blue Silkie. The mother is blue Partridge and the father is paint. I figure it’s just a little color coming in from the Partridge side of the family. Will be interesting to see if the spot remains when it feathers out.😊
ACF2098F-C125-424E-B579-9AC55457EDBA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom