Genetics question: Crested x non-crested cross

TheBanditQueen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2013
Question on crested genetics:

My rooster is Silver Laced Polish. My (non-crested) hens are Buff Orpington, Easter Egger, Australorp, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Jersey Giant, & mixes thereof.

My broody hen just hatched a clutch, and more are pipping in the incubator. I am very curious how genetics works when it comes to crested breeds. If the rooster is crested, and the hen is not crested, will some of the chicks be crested and some not? Or somewhere in between?

Hope that makes sense. I know I'll see what happens as the chicks grow, but I'm impatient. ;) Thanks for any & all advice from you lovely folks.

(Apologies if this question is in the wrong section, since I just have hatchery barnyard mixes, not SOP or exhibition.)

From my own experience: When I crossed a crested with a noncrested the resulting birds had a crest but smaller than the parent. If those birds were crossed again with noncrested some of the offspring had tiny crests or no crests at all. The breeds I used in crosses were silkie, phoenix, polish, Yokohama, serama.

Yay! I was hoping they might turn out to have crests. Either way, they will be adorable.

Thank you :)

The crest gene is autosomal incomplete dominant, I.e. not sex-linked, will show small crest if 1 copy and large crest if 2, and if 2 small-crested birds mate the offspring may inherit the non-crested alelle from each, so have no crest, despite both parents having one and it being dominant. Confusing I know :lol:

The crest gene is autosomal incomplete dominant, I.e. not sex-linked, will show small crest if 1 copy and large crest if 2, and if 2 small-crested birds mate the offspring may inherit the non-crested alelle from each, so have no crest, despite both parents having one and it being dominant. Confusing I know :lol:
No... It's Great! Thanks! So if a Large crest (2 crest alelle) and a Small crest (1 crest alelle) mate, Some offspring could be Large crested, and some could be Small crested, since they could get 1 Large crest alelle from each, or just 1 Large crest alelle from the Large and 1 non-crest alelle from the small... but because of the Large, they would be crested (Large or Small) either way... right?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom