genetics question-sex linked chicks /out crossing shredder gene?

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I hope that's the right term.

So if I have a solid coloured ROO over a barred HEN, male chicks will be barred, and females solid.

What if I have a barred ROO over a solid female HEN? Will males be solid and females barred?
Does it work both ways?

What if I have, say a BCM (solid) over an EE hen who is barred..... will that work? even if the EE hen is a mutt (her mom was a CLB)

What will a BCM over a CLB produce? (olive Eggers, yes, but will they be sex linked?)where does the white dot on the males head come in? is that only with CLB x CLB ??

ALSO- I read somewhere on here that you can out cross the lavender shredder gene issue by breeding to black bird. Can anyone explain?
Thanks

It does not work both ways.
Barring is sex linked . With males its like other genes and comes in pairs. They receive one gene from each parent. Being sex linked means the females only get one gene and it comes from their father and it is passed to their sons.
That's how it works to produce the sex links. Fathers don't have the barring gene so they only pass non barring to all offspring. Females that do have it can only pass it to their male offspring. So males get barring and females don't.
The other way around females pass non barring to their male offspring but the males pass their barring to all offspring.
Males can also have one barring gene and one non barring gene. In that case its a 50/50 chance of which gene they pass on so they can produce barred and none barred.
The head spot is the indicator on chicks that they carry a barring gene. The key to producing sex linked chicks is not only using the barring gene correctly but also producing chicks with a color/pattern that it can be seen on in day old chicks.
For example if you use the right combination but your crosses are producing yellow chicks you won't see the head spot.

It does not work both ways.
Barring is sex linked . With males its like other genes and comes in pairs. They receive one gene from each parent. Being sex linked means the females only get one gene and it comes from their father and it is passed to their sons.
That's how it works to produce the sex links. Fathers don't have the barring gene so they only pass non barring to all offspring. Females that do have it can only pass it to their male offspring. So males get barring and females don't.
The other way around females pass non barring to their male offspring but the males pass their barring to all offspring.
Males can also have one barring gene and one non barring gene. In that case its a 50/50 chance of which gene they pass on so they can produce barred and none barred.
The head spot is the indicator on chicks that they carry a barring gene. The key to producing sex linked chicks is not only using the barring gene correctly but also producing chicks with a color/pattern that it can be seen on in day old chicks.
For example if you use the right combination but your crosses are producing yellow chicks you won't see the head spot.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain that!
Would you be able to tell me who I could mate successfully to know the sex of day old chicks? I have:

CLB roos and hens, BCM roo and hens, Cuckoo Maran roo, barred Easter Egger hens, silver laced wyandotte hens ,welsummer hens, pure black auracana hens and roo.

Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom