Genetics Question: unexpected black chick

Last edited:
Due to Easter eggers being mixes, they hide many recessive genes. It's like me getting a pure black chick from a white rooster. This chick is most likely the offspring of the EE roosters. Simply due to the variables of their genetics. Definitely not the offspring of the silkie. It would have the extra toe, and the feathering on top of its head. Is that a single or pea comb?
That is what I thought I remembered about silkie genes.

Last edited:
I gave a broody 5 EE eggs to hatch. Got 4 in the typical chipmunk pattern. But also got a black chick with black legs and yellow on the bottom of it's feet.
Is the chick on the bottom the one you are referring to? That chick is not a solid black. I've seen many that are the reddish brown color of that chick. They a lot if the time turn out to be a partridge color or sometimes brown red ( similar to Black Copper). My opinion is that just about any of the roosters could be baby daddy.

Is the chick on the bottom the one you are referring to?
That chick is not a solid black. I've seen many that are the reddish brown color of that chick. They a lot if the time turn out to be a partridge color or sometimes brown red ( similar to Black Copper). My opinion is that just about any of the roosters could be baby daddy.
Uh draye the op only had ONE darker color chick so yeah thats the chick the SAME CHICK in ALL the pictures. btw OP CUTE CHICK and even though i know NOTHING about genetics in chickens or any poultry i agree w/draye

Back
Top Bottom