genetics question

fitzy

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
manhattan, ks
Okay, i know that some people out there (probably most) breed their larger quail and eat/sell the smaller ones. Here's what i'd like to know:

Assuming the following
Two adult coturnix (male and female) of unknown background
One weighs 16oz and the other weighs 10 oz

If i hatch eggs from this couple, will they weigh (full grown)
a) 13oz...half the differance
b) more than 10, but less than 13
c) more than 13, but less than 16
d) between 13 & 16 evenly distributed (bell curve if you will)
e) close to or the same as hen
f) close to or the same as the roo
g) other

for full credit, please explain your answer...
smile.png

H. Any of the above.

It depends on the genes present, growth is more than 1 gene in both people and birds.

Example: humans

I'm 5 ft tall (10 oz hen)
Mr Saddi is 6'4 (16 oz roo)

Since I look tiny you would expect our chicks (sons) to be middle sized at 5'8 or so. However I'm the small one in a family where the women reach 6ft and the men 6'6, so my sons will easily hit the 6 + mark. By looking at me you could not guess that I carry tall genes, as I'm not tall.

I would combine them, grow out the offsping and see what you get, if the chicks don't meet your goals, the chicks and the smaller parent meet the freezer. (you would of course band the hen and collect her eggs from an isolation pen to be sure of your genes).

Which brings me back to the beginning, how good are you at paperwork?

Quote:
Well yeah I use an excel file,, but I still call it "paperwork", as in "kids go do something mommy's doing paperwork".

Quote:
A good point, not all that carry the gene for larger weight will be large.
Now all large birds will, so breed the largest males to the largest females.
If not belong long the small gene, will surface.

From the pair, most will be smaller birds with some carring the gene for larger birds.(only way to know is with their offspring)

If you think of the size like a color.

One 100% normal color the other say white = all will look normal color ,but carry the white gene.

Take one noramal color spilt white X white = both normal and white color, and normal split white.

Just replace white with 16oz, and normal color with 10 oz.

hope that helps.

Also as you know if you put a normal color in an all white flock, before long you would have alot of normal color chicks.

With color easy to see, with size best to weight.

Quote:
Well yeah I use an excel file,, but I still call it "paperwork", as in "kids go do something mommy's doing paperwork".

OH HONEY REALLY-- WE NEED TO GET YOU A MAKEOVER!!!

GO TO THE BRINSEA WEB SITE AND DOWNLOAD THE TRIAL VERSION OF BRINSEA'S "EGG WISE" PROGRAM!!! ITS THE BOMB!

TRACKS INDIVIDUAL BREEDERS, THEIR FERTILITY RATES, AND THEIR OFFSPRING, MANAGES 'BATORS, HATCH CALENDARS, HATCH REPORTS AND THE LIST GOES ON FROM THERE.... IF YOU LIKE TO INCUBATE AND HAVE A COMPUTER THE SOFTWARE IS UNBELEIVEABLE. YOU CAN TRY IT FOR FREE FOR 30 DAYS BUT IF YOU'RE LIKE ME YOU'LL BE HOOKED AND BUY IT. IT'S LIKE 30 BUCKS FOR THE UNLOCK PROGRAM TO USE IT FOREVER(AFTER THE 30 DAYS TRIAL IS UP) BUT IT TAKES A FEW DAYS TO GET YOUR UNLOCK CODE AND DVD ( A HARD COPY OF YOUR PROGRAM SO YOU CAN HAVE IT TO PUT ON NEW COMPUTERS IN THE FUTURE) SO DONT WAIT TIL THE END TO BUY--- JUST CLOSE TO THE END!

Tough one. There is no single gene in weight, its a complex trait meaning many genes interact with each other and the environment (diet, temperature, etc.). So you can throw away your mendelian charts on this one.

if you really get into genetics I suggest you look into line breeding, which most of the traditional poultry breeders use. Most companies use genetic markers, bands of DNA that are correlated to weight to assist in matings.

You can also get into heterosis (hybrid vigor), usually done by crossing two inbred lines. The progeny, if they have heterosis, will be larger than the parents.

Quote:

OH HONEY REALLY-- WE NEED TO GET YOU A MAKEOVER!!!

GO TO THE BRINSEA WEB SITE AND DOWNLOAD THE TRIAL VERSION OF BRINSEA'S "EGG WISE" PROGRAM!!! ITS THE BOMB!

TRACKS INDIVIDUAL BREEDERS, THEIR FERTILITY RATES, AND THEIR OFFSPRING, MANAGES 'BATORS, HATCH CALENDARS, HATCH REPORTS AND THE LIST GOES ON FROM THERE.... IF YOU LIKE TO INCUBATE AND HAVE A COMPUTER THE SOFTWARE IS UNBELEIVEABLE. YOU CAN TRY IT FOR FREE FOR 30 DAYS BUT IF YOU'RE LIKE ME YOU'LL BE HOOKED AND BUY IT. IT'S LIKE 30 BUCKS FOR THE UNLOCK PROGRAM TO USE IT FOREVER(AFTER THE 30 DAYS TRIAL IS UP) BUT IT TAKES A FEW DAYS TO GET YOUR UNLOCK CODE AND DVD ( A HARD COPY OF YOUR PROGRAM SO YOU CAN HAVE IT TO PUT ON NEW COMPUTERS IN THE FUTURE) SO DONT WAIT TIL THE END TO BUY--- JUST CLOSE TO THE END!

*drops a kiss on JJ's head*
JJ, you know I do so adore you darling. You know the last man who told me I needed a makeover got sacked with a large allimony bill.
lau.gif

Before I was a teacher I worked as a coporate trainer teaching MS office, it was a sweet gig, I got to see Asia at 21 for 6 months, while working 4 or so hours a day (seriously best job ever, my boss was a year off retirement and let me set the class schedule so he could sit in his office and let the clock run down). I'll take a peek but so far what I got it doing the job.

Quote:
A good point, not all that carry the gene for larger weight will be large.
Now all large birds will, so breed the largest males to the largest females.
If not belong long the small gene, will surface.

From the pair, most will be smaller birds with some carring the gene for larger birds.(only way to know is with their offspring)

If you think of the size like a color.

One 100% normal color the other say white = all will look normal color ,but carry the white gene.

Take one noramal color spilt white X white = both normal and white color, and normal split white.

Just replace white with 16oz, and normal color with 10 oz.

hope that helps.

Also as you know if you put a normal color in an all white flock, before long you would have alot of normal color chicks.

With color easy to see, with size best to weight.

Saddina....paperwork? did you see my post about quail feed? apparently i qualify as a "bean counter" after that post...

the color comparison that DEERMAN listed is how i was hoping it would break down, but according to ECOGEN it's much more complex than that ! ....which was what i expected, but i was hoping that quail would have genetics closer to a plant than that of the higher evolved species of our planet!!!

Oh well, gonna have to get me one of those computing devices you guys are talking about and put some soft wearable stuff on it. then once my purty thinking doll is ready, i'm gonna make her track down the quail genome so i can finally have a gosh darned 1 POUND QUAIL!!!!!
lol.png

Anyway, thanks for all the input folks!

jim, shoot me a pm with the link to that software.

Back
Top Bottom