Genetics questions - more questions

Tuppemor

Songster
10 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Norway
I have some mix chicks that I am curious of the breed of.
I want to know if I can tell by color, number of toes and foot feathering what they are in terms of breed and gender.

There are two fathers, a salmon faverolles and a gold brahma.
Mothers may be gold brahma, black brahma, BR and faverolles.
So possible not-pure pairings are:
*Black hen under gold roo
*Salmon hen under gold roo
*Barred hen under gold roo
*Black hen under salmon roo
*Gold hen under salmon roo
*Barred hen under salmon roo

Now, one of the chicks does not have feathered legs and has four toes. It is all black with a little white on the face. This must be gold brahma x BR, right? Another looks just like it but has feathered feet.

Three are yellow with five toes and feathered feet. Is there any chance these are NOT pure faverolles?
None look like pure gold brahmas, most of them are all black, some with yellow spots on face, with and without feathered feet.

Specific questions:
1. What happens when you breed feathered feet with non-feathered? Sex linkage?
2. What happens when you breed five toes to four toes? Sex linkage?

I could try to get some pictures if it might help.
smile.png

Very very grateful if anyone could share their wisdom!

Last edited:
Well, I am confused as to the parentage of my current crop of chicks. Nobody has responded in the Brahma thread, so I guess others don't know either.

However, what I can say is feathered legs and feet seems to be very dominant. I have only Brahma roosters and have Brahma and Warren hens. All my chicks have feathered legs and feet, but two of the chicks are colours that I have never seen in Brahma. Now....either I have started a new line of Brahmas inadvertently or Brahma X warren gives chicks with legs every bit as feathery as their very well feathered fathers!

Good Luck in getting your questions answered,

Sandie

(Gold, Blue Partridge, Red Pyle and Dark Brahmas. Warren hens)

I am certainly no expert on this but I will tell you what I have found so far in crossing my Salmon Faverolles roo with Cochin, Marans, Brahma and EE hens (besides awfully cute chicks). I would say the yellow legs mean not pure Faverolles as all of my Cochin/Fav chicks have yellow legs. Feathered legs is not dominant as far as I can tell - I have 2 EE/Fav chicks and one has 5 toes per foot and yellow legs with 3 or 4 tiny feather stubs and the other has 4 toes per foot with white legs that have no sign of feathering at all. However, the EE hen is the only non-feather legged breed that I have crossed the Fav roo with. My 2 Marans/Fav chicks each have 4 toes on one foot and 5 toes on the other. (I think polydactyl feet is an incomplete dominant.) Both the Marans as well as the Brahma and Cochin chicks have feathered legs, but , of course, so do both parents. Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
The legs are not yellow on the three, their fluff is.
smile.png

I've tried to read up on this stuff a bit, and I think I can conclude that any chicks without foot feathering are faverolles crosses, as the brahma and faverolles have different genes for foot feathering, where the brahmas gene is dominant, but the faverolles has a sort of gradient.

Also, the chicken calculator told me that faverolles x gold brahma hen could look like a pure faverolles in terms of color, the roos would not. But as chicks I don't know.

When it comes to the five toes I don't know. They DO have five toes, are yellow and have feathered feet, but they still could be crosses. *sigh*
Question: How is pea comb and single comb inherited? What does a cross of these two result in?

Crossing faverolles or gold rahma roo with BR hen (which I think most of them are) should result in sex links, the females will be black and the males barred - but how can I tell black from barred when they are chicks?

Quote:
Regarding the comb, one of my EE/Fav chicks has a pea comb (she is now 21 weeks and lays a light green egg) and the other has something in between, not a true pea comb but not a prominent single comb either (same age and just laid her first egg today, also light green).

Also, your questions just made me realize something. I have what I thought was a Brahma/Fav cross that is 6 weeks old. I would have sworn she was from a Brahma egg, however, she has yellow legs. Since Brahmas do not have yellow legs (at least my three hens don't seem to anyway) this chick has to be a Cochin. Here is a picture of her:
Pumpkin.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. I went out and inspected my three (hatchery) Brahma hens' legs this evening. I guess they actually are yellow, just not as yellow as the Cochins that I have. After I compared the Faverolles leg color, Cochin leg color and Brahma leg color, I could clearly see the differences. So at least I've not (quite) lost my mind - my chick is a Brahma/Fav cross.

Quote:
What color brahma is she mixed with?

I figured out that I should be able to tell from the comb if there is brahma in my yellow chicks or not. Pea comb+single comb does not produce single comb, so if my little yellow fluffies have single combs they are pure. I think.
roll.png

Quote:
What color brahma is she mixed with?

I figured out that I should be able to tell from the comb if there is brahma in my yellow chicks or not. Pea comb+single comb does not produce single comb, so if my little yellow fluffies have single combs they are pure. I think.
roll.png

She is from a Buff Brahma egg.

Back
Top Bottom