Gentle way to treat pasty butt?

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
Hello guys, am new to raising chicks. I recently got my chicks yesterday from Meyers and I inspected their butts for pasty butt before putting them in their brooder. I did notice before going to bed that one of the chicks had the slightest thing on their butt. I was hoping it wasn't pasty butt, but next day it definitely is.

My issue is that one of my chicks from my first batch of chicks from TSC had pasty butt that was hard and crusty and it took awhile for me to get it off. The chick ended up being absolutely terrified of me afterwards which got me really discouraged.

I'm currently trying to raise the Meyer chicks as gently as possible to get them to be friendly as they grow older unlike the batch from TSC who are just terrified at every single thing. Is there any way for me to treat this pasty butt without terrifying the life out of the 3 day old chick?

Take a q-tip dipped in vegetable oil and work it in the hardened poo the best you can to get it loose then hold the chick's booty under warm running water and gently work the poo off. Just remember gentle and patience so you don't injure the chick's sensitive bottom. Keep the chick warm during the process to keep from it getting chilled. I'm sure you know all this info because that's really about the only technique I know of. :idunno But it's good to have moral support! Ha,ha!

I have found that a small glob of plain original Neosporin on a damp paper towel helps to soften and clean up pasty butt better. After I'm done I use the Neosporin almost like a gel to flatten all of the feathers away from the vent. I usually don't have any more clumping after that and if I do it's much easier to clean off with the Neosporin already on the feathers. Now when I get a shipment of chicks the first thing I do is take a little Neosporin and "gel" down the feathers around all of their vents before I put them in the brooder.

Ok I was able to treat the pasty butt the ol' fashion way with warm water and a towel. Fortunately the chick didn't become scared of me afterwards as she still chases my hand around. I'm guessing its my first chick with pasty butt disposition to be skittish to begin with.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll be sure to pick up some Neosporin to prevent it from occurring again.

Treating pasty butt is one thing. Preventing it from happening is another thing. Strongly consider your temps. Is the brooder to hot? Airing on the side of colder vs. hotter, you'll likely not have to ever deal with pasty butt...

I did notice one of my chicks panting, so I did raise the heat lamp higher earlier today. They have plenty of room to wander away from the heat lamp if they so choose.

Treating pasty butt is one thing. Preventing it from happening is another thing. Strongly consider your temps. Is the brooder to hot? Airing on the side of colder vs. hotter, you'll likely not have to ever deal with pasty butt...

This is easier said than done when you're in Texas, brooding in an un-air-conditioned space! The ambient temperature in my brooder today is 92 degrees! :)

A hot brooder can be a cause, but also simply being stressed from being at a store or being shipped can also cause it.

Monoject 412 syringes (what the dentist gives you to rinse out wisdom teeth areas) work super well - and you won't wind up with a soaking wet chick afterwards.

Fidgety chicks - wear a shirt with long sleeves, long enough that the chick can tuck its head up into the sleeve. They stand on my ring/pinky fingers, my palm is over their back and their heads are tucked into the sleeve. That leaves the butt in perfect position for washing, and the syringe (have a bowl of warm water nearby) has great aim and is easy to control for flow/force. Then chickie doesn't get soaked. And can't see what's happening and is very warm tucked up under the hand. Whatever is wet, I blow-dry before putting chickie back.

I'm new to raising chicks and some of the Meyer babies I just got had some pasty butt too. I thought they would hate me but the ones I had to treat in the beginning are the ones who now seek me out for attention the most and want to snuggle. Just keep giving them love!!

Back
Top Bottom