German bush chicken

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tingle, Dec 25, 2010.

1. tingle

tingle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    Hi can anyone tell me anything about the German bush chicken pr Deutches Buschuhun There are some eggs advertised with just one picture of a cockerel he looks very gamey with a long tail but no literature,I have googled but not come up with anything perhaps they might have a different name Thanks in advance

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    You mean "deutsches reichshuhn"?

3. tingle

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    Hi Henk its not the Reischcun I know that one here is the picture what appears with the advert do you know anything about this chicken?By the way I love the chicken on your avtar and am going to try and make one,did you manage to get any Cemani,I should have eggs when the weather gets warmer....Tony[​IMG]/img]

4. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] that bird is beautiful!
    I'm sorry, but i dont know anything about it [​IMG]

5. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    I think you are being deceived...
    That looks like a satsumadori with white earlobes.

What Cemani?

6. tingle

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    Thanks for the replies,Sorry Henk I must have you mixed up with another Henk,he asked me in the autumn about Cemani but my birds were only chicks at the time but they will be laying soon

7. mice75

mice75 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    It is in fact a true breed, also known as Javanese bantams if i'm correct.
    Some more info here (it's all in German sorry for that):
    [​IMG]
    And here: http://www.javanesisches-zwerghuhn.de/8.html
    They are rare though even in germany.

8. countryluver

countryluver Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    pearcy Arkansas
    I have a ten week old hen didn't know what she was until a woman that raises them saw her

9. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Very doubtful. There are many breeds elsewhere that we do not have in the States. Just because something 'looks like' something else means little to nothing.

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Just saw this, though late. Maybe the info will help others in passing. The German Bush chickens or Javanese Bantams aren't very common to my knowledge. I know very little about them, but I want to say they originated out of Jungle fowl (or Old English?) and just local landraces (which could be anything). There was a German forum I was on, which I think was gefluegelforum.eu. We do not have them in the US and as Mice said, not very common in Germany.

There is a very kind lady on the forum provided called Claudia that to my knowledge all she keeps is Deutsches Buschhuhn or in English, German Bush Chicken. She speaks English relatively well too, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about not being able to understand each other (or maybe you speak German?).

When I was looking for information on Kraienköppe she supplied me with the German standard (as at that time I hadn't bought the book on them and only had the Dutch standard) and helped me with translations on some information I could not easily translate myself; she also helped me with some German poultry terms I could not really understand being American as they are not terms we use here.

German's have some cool birds, I think next to the Kraienköppe Ramelsloher's are my favorite.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by