German New Hampshire

George, I understood what you were saying. My post was just meant to be a general statement. I'm sure you guys are aware of this but I will post it for those who may not. Originally there was 2 types of New Hampshires. There were strains that were production type for eggs and there were strains that were for meat. The meat strains matured very quickly and weighed more but did not lay near as well as the production strains. It actually says this in the description for New Hampshires in the APA Standard Of Perfection. My understanding is that the meat strains were much lighter in color and were for the most part not shown so for all intents and purposes the strains that survived were the production lines because the show people kept breeding them when the Cornish Cross came along and the meat strain fell out of favor as a market chicken. I think some of this history gets confused sometimes with the New Hampshire.
My reference to the egg laying is partly based on this and partly based on the statements that several long time breeders and show people have told me that the bigger and broader that you make any breed that the less eggs they will lay. It always made sense to me because if you look at the range of breeds the largest breeds (Brahmas, Cochins, etc.) are the poorest layers and some of the smallest breeds (Leghorns, etc.) are the best layers.
I was not debating or disagreeing either. I just tried to clarify what I was saying. I do not communicate well, and I still do not think that I have made myself clear.

I understand, like you, that commercially they went in two different directions. Also, from what I can tell, the meat strains did tend to be lighter. It does not seam to me that there was a lot of emphasis in their development for color originally though. How they dress out has as much to do about under color as surface color. My dark Germans have a beautiful under color. The birds dress pretty clean. That said, the meat strains were more like we see in the standard print. More of a redish buff.
I am one of those that thinks that the dual purpose standard bird should be darker than the print in the standard. More in line with the description. I base that on the standard description of the colors, and the differentiation made under the "economic qualities". It is my opinion that personal preference played a part in that. I like the Schilling print, and that is my Standard picture for type and color.

It is an opinion of mine, that egg laying has more to do with unseen genetics and type than actual size. Of course too far in any direction is detrimental. I think some of the larger breeds could have been developed to have quite high lay rates. It would not have made economical sense, so it was never done. Brahmas and Cochins do not have the type (Well I do not know about the Cochins, as I can't see their type through all of the feather), and they are far removed from any functional role, IMO. Too me they have become ornamental.

Even Leghorns were what we would call average layers now. It took a long term, organized, well funded, and specialized effort to get them where they are today. Rocks could have been developed to reach similarly high lay rates, but it would not have made sense to do so. Too big to be an economical layer, but not too big to be a good layer.

All of this included, I agree 100% that it is a mistake to make New Hampshires too big. I want early fryer dates, but do not want to feed an extra pound of two of bird the rest of the year. Would take away from this advantage. I think in terms of fryers concerning males for meat. Too me, the roasters are a luxury. It is more economical to process fryers, and they do fry up nicely. I would want to cross them with Cornish to make roasters. They do not have to weigh 10lbs to make good young fryers.

I do not know how accurate the showmen were, but their advertising brags on pullets that start laying at 20 wks, and the birds being fryers at 12 wks. Apparently they at least considered this a breed selling point. Apparently the people that showed them early thought something of their performance.

Like today, some of the poultry people back in the day were hucksters. I lived on a fryer farm for a year as a child. Fred can probably add more to this, but my uncle used Leghorns for fryers. He also told me the only reason they used leghorns for eggs is that they were cheaper to feed. So it would appear that bigger breeds could be used...he used Rocks and RIR's for eggs, but eggs were not his business. He did not use Leghorns ,even though he had tons of them...all males.

Walt

The Leghorns of those days were like the exhibition Leghorns of today. They are big birds.

Last edited:
Like today, some of the poultry people back in the day were hucksters. I lived on a fryer farm for a year as a child. Fred can probably add more to this, but my uncle used Leghorns for fryers. He also told me the only reason they used leghorns for eggs is that they were cheaper to feed. So it would appear that bigger breeds could be used...he used Rocks and RIR's for eggs, but eggs were not his business. He did not use Leghorns ,even though he had tons of them...all males.

Walt

The Leghorns of those days were like the exhibition Leghorns of today. They are big birds.
Yup and tender tasty...each year growing up in Broken Arrow, OK my Grandpa who lived with us after Grandma died raised over a hundred fifty hatchery white leghorn x rock crosses (straight run but mostly males) each year and processed them by around 5 months old. He said they were cheap to buy and feed and tasted expensive. This was in the mid 1970's though...and may have been a local hatchery too...they seemed bigger than today's hatchery birds for sure...but I was alot smaller then
wink.png

The size of the eggs was mentioned so I took a picture of mine.
I have five German New Hampshires I got from Kathy, hatched April 2012.
One went broody and is now raising a chick.
I average three eggs a day from the other four.
They are not uniform in size or color.
They have been extremely consistent layers since they started at around 6 months.

The size of the eggs was mentioned so I took a picture of mine.
I have five German New Hampshires I got from Kathy, hatched April 2012.
One went broody and is now raising a chick.
I average three eggs a day from the other four.
They are not uniform in size or color.
They have been extremely consistent layers since they started at around 6 months.

Weight would be a better indicator since that is what the standard goes by. Small eggs are 1.5 ounces each; medium, 1.75 oz; large 2.0 oz; extra large, 2.25 oz; jumbo: 2.5 oz. Do you have a small scale to weigh them?

Egg weights (of the three I had left, largest egg was used this morning)
2.2 oz
1.9 oz
1.7 oz

That is good. I have not weighed many of mine, but I sell eggs and used to grade them by weight, so I got pretty good at knowing the size just by looking at it and I have not had any in the jumbo range, mostly they are medium.

Not the best angle for a pic but I only had my phone and this is the best one that I got of him......

This is one of my cockerels that I'm growing out this year that I'm really starting to like. I have some nice pullet out of the bunch and can't wait for breeding season to roll around again!!!

Chris

Back
Top Bottom