German New Hampshire

My opinion is that it is to early to make a decision on whether or not either one of those birds is good enough to move on with. They need to be 8-9 months old before that decision is made unless there are some glaring problems.

Matt

I agree here with Matt too and even still it might be 10 to 12 months before you can tell, things change a great deal in their last stages of cockerel to cock (hormones) LOL

remember patience is key here (if one is into these for the long haul that is) if not I'd suggest some Ideal or Macmurry ones) they will get you there fast fast LOL

Jeff

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely be keeping them around a bit longer to see how they mature. What are some of the "glaring problems" that you would cull early for?

When birds are young you can still cull for disqualifications (DQ's) but to cull for type you should wait. With the German line stubs (feathers on the feet/shanks) are a DQ and often appear early. They can be between toes or on the shanks. There are a few "blatant" DQ's/defects that you can also look for in young birds, but they are really not common in "good" stock like the German line as far as I know: crooked back/beak/breast bone or a deformed toe or beak. Also, in general birds that lack vigor when they are young will also develop into sickly adults. There is rarely an ugly duckling miracle with young birds. If they arent good young, they dont turn out good when they mature.

Also keep in mind when selecting breeders its often more about selecting the best out of many good birds vs just weeding out all the duds and ending up with your breeders. Developing an "eye" for your breed is what brings the art to this hobby. For me I have an old print of a male and female Hamp framed and right next to my desk. I love the look of the birds in this old print and when I look at my own birds I judge them against these. Some day I will be able to frame a photo of my own birds next to this print and I hope no one can tell that the photo was taken 75 years after Schilling drew the print!

Another thing to consider is what are your 2 breeding goals for this season? My mentors taught me that you can quickly get lost looking at every single factor with a bird. Instead set a few goals for yourself and focus on them. For my own Hamps I am focusing on two main goals: 1) increasing size; and 2) increasing depth of keel. Of course you should always eliminate DQ's along the way. Once I have accomplished what I feel is acceptable size and depth of keel I will set two more goals and focus on them until they are accomplished. Just the way I do culling.

Cheers,
Mike

Another thing that is strain specific at least, is if their tails are pinched at twelve weeks, they will not magicly open up later. My point is that there are a few things that you can cull for early once you get to know what you have and how they grow out.
I am a little different in that @ 14 wks, half of my males are gone. @ 18 wks another quarter is gone. The last 25% grow out until their first birthday, unless something obvious develops along the way. I feel like I can get away with this, because I hatch quite a few. I will not keep the bottom half concerning the rate that they mature, because of what they are.
I go by the idea that the one you want is the one that never gives you a reason to cull it.

My NH babies are now 5 wks. old, and am amazed at to their fast growth. When I pick them up, can feel their surprising weight. Such delightful experience to have these lovely birds, and watch them develop.

They have cadmium yellow legs which looks unreal in person.

Another thing that is strain specific at least, is if their tails are pinched at twelve weeks, they will not magicly open up later. My point is that there are a few things that you can cull for early once you get to know what you have and how they grow out.
I am a little different in that @ 14 wks, half of my males are gone. @ 18 wks another quarter is gone. The last 25% grow out until their first birthday, unless something obvious develops along the way. I feel like I can get away with this, because I hatch quite a few. I will not keep the bottom half concerning the rate that they mature, because of what they are.
I go by the idea that the one you want is the one that never gives you a reason to cull it.
That last sentence sure sums it all up....I'll offer that "The sum of its parts is greater than the whole"
wink.png

Hi to all New Hampshire lovers. My name is Lee and out of all of our chickens, (breeds), the NH are my most favorite. I need some help in finding an adult breeder for my 3 girls. Roody is no longer around. I have been searching for a German NH Roo
with no luck. Can anyone help me out. I really don't mind driving long distence for a nice roo. We have many different rare breeds, ( Heritage ) birds and would not hesitate
one bit on spreading the love with some chicks or eggs, for trade for a NH Roo.
Probably the best, and quickest way to reach me would be by phone.
Thanks in advance !

Lee Cell # 404 867-4247

Hi to all New Hampshire lovers. My name is Lee and out of all of our chickens, (breeds), the NH are my most favorite. I need some help in finding an adult breeder for my 3 girls. Roody is no longer around. I have been searching for a German NH Roo with no luck. Can anyone help me out. I really don't mind driving long distence for a nice roo. We have many different rare breeds, ( Heritage ) birds and would not hesitate one bit on spreading the love with some chicks or eggs, for trade for a NH Roo. Probably the best, and quickest way to reach me would be by phone. Thanks in advance ! Lee Cell # 404 867-4247

Steve Gribble sgribble on here can probly hook you up he is in NW Ga. area south of Chattanooga. If he doesn't have one he will know who does more than likely.

G,day

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom