German New Hampshire

I'm sorry everyone, but how do I post pictures on here?

you have to post an X amount on here first(prove your interest or some crazy rule IDK) I think its in the BYC rules how many, I don't remember right off so go find out and get to posting you'll be there in no time. LOL

Jeff

I figure it has something to do with scammers and trolls probly

Last edited:
No I'm stub free, never had one with stubs here. Sorry you had to fight that stumbling block Walt. I'm sure you'll get a handle on all of your goings on there ol boy. I'll do just good here if I can't handle it I got gotos(sources) for assistance they are good ones too got multiple proven winners to show for "their work" not from purchased or acquired birds. Theirs look good too. Breeders in otherwords.

Thanks for the offers but I'll pass

Jeff

Everyone starts with "acquired" birds. I only had one male to work with and he didn't have stubs, but all except two of the females I had did. I got rid of all the birds with stubs. So far there are no stubs here this breeding and the people who got chicks/eggs from me don't seem to have them either. I stopped hatching a month ago, so I have birds all ages here now and so far no stubs. The only male I had is a bird I would never have used for breeding, but if you only have one male that's what you have to do. The offspring are pretty amazing, so another testament to the strong quality of these birds. Most of the females look very good and the males will take another month to grade, but if nothing else they are going to be huge with nice long backs.

w.

The stubs come from the "pure Germans", and became relatively fixed in the line.

Crosses, from what I have seen, show few or no signs of stubs. I would guess that some may show stubs in the following generations. It is at least something to watch out for. The stubs that we are talking about here is a result of a recessive gene being paired up.

Some of these NHs are crosses, and then have been crossed again. I think that it is also helpful to note that Jefferson brought more than one strain back from Germany. I understood from him that one strain was larger than the other. The larger NHs did not fair as well for some reason, but seams to have had some influence on what is out there. I did not ask him if the stubs were in one or both. At the time, I did not realize the stubs was something to watch out for.

Regardless, the gene for the stubs is out there. I believe that with thoughtful breeding, and a watchful eye, the stub subject can be put in the past. I guess with any breed or strain, there is a problem to work on.

The stubs come from the "pure Germans", and became relatively fixed in the line.

Crosses, from what I have seen, show few or no signs of stubs. I would guess that some may show stubs in the following generations. It is at least something to watch out for. The stubs that we are talking about here is a result of a recessive gene being paired up.

Some of these NHs are crosses, and then have been crossed again. I think that it is also helpful to note that Jefferson brought more than one strain back from Germany. I understood from him that one strain was larger than the other. The larger NHs did not fair as well for some reason, but seams to have had some influence on what is out there. I did not ask him if the stubs were in one or both. At the time, I did not realize the stubs was something to watch out for.

Regardless, the gene for the stubs is out there. I believe that with thoughtful breeding, and a watchful eye, the stub subject can be put in the past. I guess with any breed or strain, there is a problem to work on.

My original birds came from Kathy and she indicated that they have other blood than the German in them. She was unsure of the amount of that in the birds I initially got because I did not get them directly from her. They had a big stub problem and as you say I believe it will be an ongoing battle for those of us that have had them. They seem to be temporarily in the background as none of these offspring from the original batch has them...so far. I only bred from the two that did not have them. This original male was 9lbs at 7 months or so. He still looked like a teenager when I weighed him. I don't know what he weighs now, but he is not a bird I would have used if I had other choices. He threw some pretty nice birds and that again is a testament to the fine breeding of these GNH's.

Originally I thought they all looked brown online, but once I saw Kathy's in person I found that some of it is the way they photograph although I was getting brown ones too. I haven't keep any as the correct colored birds are great type too.
I have never started with a breed that was so well bred to begin with. Awesome birds!

w.

Everyone starts with "acquired" birds. I only had one male to work with and he didn't have stubs, but all except two of the females I had did. I got rid of all the birds with stubs. So far there are no stubs here this breeding and the people who got chicks/eggs from me don't seem to have them either. I stopped hatching a month ago, so I have birds all ages here now and so far no stubs. The only male I had is a bird I would never have used for breeding, but if you only have one male that's what you have to do. The offspring are pretty amazing, so another testament to the strong quality of these birds. Most of the females look very good and the males will take another month to grade, but if nothing else they are going to be huge with nice long backs.

w.

Yes sir, I'm glad your flock is prospering well these need a boost to get them out in the poultry world everbody that contributes makes them evermore plentiful. I kept two of the J-whip experimental males(was more interested in the pullets first hand) just to watch grow out they are still growing up and out a good bit behind the pullets but I'll tell you what these guys remind me of those BRs when they start to put it on they sure come on and are starting to look pretty darn sporty at this stage. The pullets they are to die for and what I was wanting the NH I got from Kathy and another source had better males than females in my findings/IMO But we're gonna see what putting another good GNH male over the "halfbreeds/experimental pullets" will do here in the up and coming cooler months later in the year.

thanks for the updates I love hearing good news from folk and their progressions.

Jeff

Last edited:
Yes sir, I'm glad your flock is prospering well these need a boost to get them out in the poultry world everbody that contributes makes them evermore plentiful. I kept two of the J-whip experimental males(was more interested in the pullets first hand) just to watch grow out they are still growing up and out a good bit behind the pullets but I'll tell you what these guys remind me of those BRs when they start to put it on they sure come on and are starting to look pretty darn sporty at this stage. The pullets they are to die for and what I was wanting the NH I got from Kathy and another source had better males than females in my findings/IMO But we're gonna see what putting another good GNH male over the "halfbreeds/experimental pullets" will do here in the up and coming cooler months later in the year.

thanks for the updates I love hearing good news from folk and their progressions.

Jeff

The males appear to take a full year to really fill out.....or that is what I am experiencing. You could show a female at 7 month. I will post pics of birds as they mature. Lual who got eggs from me is taking pictures of their growth so that should be quite interesting.

w.

Back
Top Bottom