German New Hampshire

Organized Chaos! Brilliant!
big_smile.png

That's definitely a description of my workspace.
wink.png
Can't find anything if it's too neat, can't even begin to if it's too messy.
hmm.png

Here ya go Walt give your take on this one. I probly won't like it or agree but... hey, we can't all be the same or breed the same as everthing would be exact and boring LOL
wink.png

Here's one for ya'll my NH pullets I hatched from XWpoultry farms eggs are now starting up production I have gotten 4 eggs in 5 days and today I finally got the proof of which one it is(caught her in the act). Pretty sure its a lone hen doing it the eggs are uniformly the same in color shape and size and have only seen the 1 out of the 7 singing and trying to escape evertime I open the gate shes searching for a nesting area as she is not trained to go to the nest box yet (some do this)
Now guess what she is darkest red("brown" as some call them on here and another infamous site) out of the group but you know what I will keep the girl because I'd say in the breeding world of poultry that early maturity should often time trump shade color any day. Now if she was white or black or barred and not supposed to be then, no, but just about 3-4 shades darker red than chestnut(which I think a lot of folks lean more toward the buff colors as being) I think last time I checked a chestnut is in the brown category where as buff should be in yellow/gold. J/S

Shouldn't early maturity be included in type founding and structure forming of the barn building and then you can paint it your desired color or designated color and the bells and whistles, garters and frills when you get it stood up and supported good and strong.

Jeff

I think I shall catalog her as 1L= first to lay

Last edited:
The stubs come from the "pure Germans", and became relatively fixed in the line.

Crosses, from what I have seen, show few or no signs of stubs. I would guess that some may show stubs in the following generations. It is at least something to watch out for. The stubs that we are talking about here is a result of a recessive gene being paired up.

Some of these NHs are crosses, and then have been crossed again. I think that it is also helpful to note that Jefferson brought more than one strain back from Germany. I understood from him that one strain was larger than the other. The larger NHs did not fair as well for some reason, but seams to have had some influence on what is out there. I did not ask him if the stubs were in one or both. At the time, I did not realize the stubs was something to watch out for.

Regardless, the gene for the stubs is out there. I believe that with thoughtful breeding, and a watchful eye, the stub subject can be put in the past. I guess with any breed or strain, there is a problem to work on.
Sorry I'm behind in this thread. I have pure Germans from Matt Ulrich and they do have stubs. When I first got them, that did not bother me since I just wanted the birds for my own flock because they are so beautiful, but as time went by, I became more interested in showing my birds. Guess I might have to do what a lot of others have done and cross these. Sounds like I will never get rid of the stubs otherwise. Here's two photos of some of my pullets hatched out this year. I try to get rid of the rocks in my pens, but they keep digging up more and somehow all the rocks in this grow-out pen are all ending up in the corner where these pullets are! They are around 4 months old, some a bit younger, some a bit older. I've got 23 German New Hampshire pullets growing out right now.

I am up to 6 eggs a day out my my 9 XWpoultry. Jeff both you and Walt talk about brown NH. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Does that mean that they are one solid brown color. Seems like I have a couple like that

Your GNH pullets look very nice. I have the XW pullets and some Germain/American pullets and I can def

Very nice GNH pullets!!! I sometime think about running two different pens, one Germain and one half American. I have seen you selling chicks before. I am going to have to think about this a little bit more. I let my XW pullets out in the morning and just stand there and watch them for the longest time. They are so beautiful and have a wonderful personality. I guess I just love the New Hampshire breed period.

Your GNH pullets look very nice. I have the XW pullets and some Germain/American pullets and I can def

Very nice GNH pullets!!! I sometime think about running two different pens, one Germain and one half American. I have seen you selling chicks before. I am going to have to think about this a little bit more. I let my XW pullets out in the morning and just stand there and watch them for the longest time. They are so beautiful and have a wonderful personality. I guess I just love the New Hampshire breed period.
Thank you. My understanding from others is that it is good to keep the pure German males to breed back to the crosses since the German males tend to have better type. I agree, they are beautiful, and nice calm birds. Perfect birds for families that have young children.

Sorry I'm behind in this thread. I have pure Germans from Matt Ulrich and they do have stubs. When I first got them, that did not bother me since I just wanted the birds for my own flock because they are so beautiful, but as time went by, I became more interested in showing my birds. Guess I might have to do what a lot of others have done and cross these. Sounds like I will never get rid of the stubs otherwise. Here's two photos of some of my pullets hatched out this year. I try to get rid of the rocks in my pens, but they keep digging up more and somehow all the rocks in this grow-out pen are all ending up in the corner where these pullets are! They are around 4 months old, some a bit younger, some a bit older. I've got 23 German New Hampshire pullets growing out right now.

thumbsup.gif
nice pics like these lets everyone else see why they are my favorites LOL
good job very good looking girls Marcy

Jeff

Being a new person to chickens, still, what are some good signs to look for, for when they will be close to laying?

Back
Top Bottom