German New Hampshire

I know there has been discussion about proper referencing of New Hampshire's on here recently, with that said please excuse a question that must contradict that discussion..Is it a characteristic that European NH's tend to be a bit smaller than the NH's that have been crossed back with American strains? I suspect this may be the case with the European F2 birds that I have. These birds are now about 7 months old, males crowing, but are not mature enough yet to answer this question for myself. I have not weighed them to compare to APA standard weights. Thanks for your perspectives.

I know there has been discussion about proper referencing of New Hampshire's on here recently, with that said please excuse a question that must contradict that discussion..Is it a characteristic that European NH's tend to be a bit smaller than the NH's that have been crossed back with American strains? I suspect this may be the case with the European F2 birds that I have. These birds are now about 7 months old, males crowing, but are not mature enough yet to answer this question for myself. I have not weighed them to compare to APA standard weights. Thanks for your perspectives.
Recently, I have seen and handled both the "european" (german) NH birds and the F1 crosses of those onto an american strain NH's. In my limited experience, the F1 crosses seem to mature faster and the females seem larger framed and lay sooner and lay larger eggs. The caveat is that this may be strain dependent too.

I just wanted to remind everyone that our club “The Gulf Coast Poultry Fanciers Association” is hosting our first large Poultry Show November 9th at the LSU Parker Coliseum in Baton Rouge, La on the campus of LSU. The deadline to enter this event is October 29th. For more information please check out our club’s web site. http://www.gcpfa.com/
Please help us by supporting this event and entering some birds because it will be a fun time for the entire family!!!
Thanks,
Chris Herzog

I would guess that the birds I have are not 100percent German.They weigh 9lbs at 7 months and look developed enough to show. The first birds from Kathy came to me as a gift from a local byc member. The males in that batch took almost a year before they could be shown. Using the male from that group produced males that are mature looking at 7 months. I don't understand the difference unless it was a management difference.

Walt

I would guess that the birds I have are not 100percent German.They weigh 9lbs at 7 months and look developed enough to show. The first birds from Kathy came to me as a gift from a local byc member. The males in that batch took almost a year before they could be shown. Using the male from that group produced males that are mature looking at 7 months. I don't understand the difference unless it was a management difference.

Walt

I weighed one of my 4 mos. old roosters just a couple of minutes ago, he is 6 3/4 pounds. Two of his brothers are bigger than him but, he is the easiest to catch. They turned 4 mos. old on Oct. 14th. They stand taller than my adult Orpington rooster, and have bigger feet.

Lual

That Is impressive to me. I have not weighed a lot of birds in my time but the last ones I did weigh were Delawares and they weighed 4.5 to 5 lbs. in 22 weeks. I guess I am not surprised that yours weigh that much, they always have looked pretty solid ever since you started posting pictures of them.

Recently, I have seen and handled both the "european" (german) NH birds and the F1 crosses of those onto an american strain NH's. In my limited experience, the F1 crosses seem to mature faster and the females seem larger framed and lay sooner and lay larger eggs. The caveat is that this may be strain dependent too. 

I have a much different perspective on these birds than has been stated. I got my birds from the same source at about the same time that Cathy did so I have had them for right at 5 years. I have pure Germans and I have crossed lines from 3 different American lines. To my knowledge and experience the size comes from the German side. Joe Jefferson had 2 German lines and on of the lines was huge and one was average size. I guess it depends what group the birds you have came out of. My German males are big. I would say that my pure German birds are a bit larger than my crossed birds. The Pure German are fully mature at 5-51/2 months and the Pullets are laying then as well. The crossed are usually at about 6 months. The pure Germans are better layers as well.

Matt

I have a much different perspective on these birds than has been stated. I got my birds from the same source at about the same time that Cathy did so I have had them for right at 5 years. I have pure Germans and I have crossed lines from 3 different American lines. To my knowledge and experience the size comes from the German side. Joe Jefferson had 2 German lines and on of the lines was huge and one was average size. I guess it depends what group the birds you have came out of. My German males are big. I would say that my pure German birds are a bit larger than my crossed birds. The Pure German are fully mature at 5-51/2 months and the Pullets are laying then as well. The crossed are usually at about 6 months. The pure Germans are better layers as well.

Matt
I don't know why mine are not in line with yours, Matt. I have pure German from you and hatched over a period of several months this spring but the majority of the birds were hatched between March 16 and April 21, making them 6-7 months old now. None of the pullets are laying yet, and there are 23 of them out in a big pen. I just processed a cockerel today. I did not weigh him live, but processed weight was
4 lb 5 oz including giblets. A couple of Blue Copper Marans in the same age range processed out at 4 lb 13 oz. However the NH male that sired this year's New Hampshires was one of my smaller ones.

That Is impressive to me. I have not weighed a lot of birds in my time but the last ones I did weigh were Delawares and they weighed 4.5 to 5 lbs. in 22 weeks. I guess I am not surprised that yours weigh that much, they always have looked pretty solid ever since you started posting pictures of them.

I am really happy that you are impressed with their weight, Scott. These chicks are my very first NH,, and don't have any prior records to compare their development. As well as their photos, I am keeping record of their weight. Well, it is a dog breeders' habit; we tend to panic if we don't constantly weigh the puppies. I did not post any weight of my chicks before so not to bother others with it : )

Walt told me before they were hatched that they will develop fast; but still I am in shock of how fast it is.. When picked, they are surprisingly heavy, but, unfortunately I don't feel any fat on any of their bodies. Even though it does not snow here, there are days where the temp. goes below freezing. With their good appetite I am hoping that they will put some fat on for the upcoming winter.

I am looking forward to seeing the photos of your NH.. : )

Lual

Matt
Matt, I was hoping you'd chime in here...as your experience with the NH's is vast indeed. I certainly appreciate your input on my birds and the state of the NH's in general.
smile.png

I do wonder how much of the differences between 'pure' german, 'pure' american and crosses depend upon the various strains owned and bred etc. As you know, my particular birds (from Jeremy's eggs) are from a cross of a large german male from Kathy Bonham owned by Jwhip crossed onto large well fleshed females from Good Shepherd which Frank Jr. seems to have been selected mainly for meat and egg qualities. The 2 main negatives with this F1 hatch of this cross has been low tail angle and pinched tails on females. Despite this cross's current shortcomings, there's enough positives that I am really looking forward to going forward with this definite favorite breed of mine.
Love New Hampshires!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom