German New Hampshire

Young swedish male. 4,5 month. 3,6 kg

Beautiful hen at 21 weeks

singlephotos2011014.jpg

Isn't she lovely

Hi, @crazyhen , yes, she's beautiful!!!
My DH ordered me some New Hampshire chicks late last summer. We're doing some research now, b/c apparently the NH did not escape the industrialization of chicken breeding. =(
I was wondering if I can join your thread and get some opinions from you and others about mine.

Her over all color is relatively even. She is a little mottled for a pullet and the shafting could be problematic. Her tail does not have a good spread, and lacks color. Her tail might be a little high in her second year.

Matching the male's breast color with the females body color helps guard against mottling. It seams that it has some similarities to breeding the buff color. We want to stay within a shade or two between the sexes, aiming for gradual color improvements.

She is a nice bird. She does have something to her. I like her overall.

The most common faults I see with the NHs is no substance. Narrow birds with short keels, no thighs, and lacking a well rounded breast.

The tails are too pronounced and run too high or too low. I started picking 6 month cockerels that have lift, are not as dramatic, but not at 45 degrees either. The tails on these birds blow up late. The tail feather length tends to be long, and takes time to finish. It seams to help to put good tails on the hens, as hens, but can be too much early. The trait is exaggerated in many males.

I'm sorry to interrupt.
hide.gif
But is that a NH roo in your avi?

Back
Top Bottom