German New Hampshire

This is a bad picture, but I took it to show the color of these in the sunlight. Most of the people I know think that the German New Hamps are too brown and I have a couple that are, but overall the females match the color of the US birds. These came indirectly from kathyinmo and started laying at 4.5 months old. I could have shown them at 5 months of age and will show them at the end of the month at approx 6 mo. The females mature faster than any other large fowl I have raised and I have raised most. I will be showing two females at the end of the month. The males are slow maturing, so they will be shown later. This picture was taken yesterday.

Walt

If that one paralell to the fence shows that well in a cage as she is there she should do alright. Nice birds! Can't wait 'till spring when I'm gettin' me some.

Is it possible for wings to look split as a young bird moults into their adult wing feathers or when an older bird does a complete moult? I have some cockerels that looked a lot like the bird pictured, but seem to have perfect wings now that they have finished growing in all their wing feathers....no split, gaps or mis-aligned primaries (even when spread out).

Trisha
Your birds were probly going thru juvenile molt to their first set of adult plumage/or
possibly could have had somewhat of a weak muscle causing the outer wing area to droop therefore making it seem to be a loose or dropped wing, some folks when raising up young birds will build them high perches to fly up on to. This exercises their wings just to help in this situation. I think Mr. Walt Leonard or Bob Blosl does this for his Wt. Leghorns when conditioning them for showing.

I have a NH cockerel that showed to have a dropped wing for many months now it is not there, I presume the muscle strengthened and fixed itself, split wing will not fix itself and most dropped wings don't magically become righted either.

Jeff

Last edited:
Is it possible for wings to look split as a young bird moults into their adult wing feathers or when an older bird does a complete moult? I have some cockerels that looked a lot like the bird pictured, but seem to have perfect wings now that they have finished growing in all their wing feathers....no split, gaps or mis-aligned primaries (even when spread out).

Trisha

yes. when in doubt check the feather follicles. there should be ten primaries and axial feather and ten secondary wing feathers. If there is a gap..count the feathers and look for moulted feather follicles. If all 21 feathers are in and there is still a gap you have split wing.

Walt

If that one paralell to the fence shows that well in a cage as she is there she should do alright. Nice birds! Can't wait 'till spring when I'm gettin' me some.

They will be spending some time in a large fowl exhibition cage for a few hours a day. They are on the wild side now and flair their tail too much. I am impressed with the rate of growth in the females. The males will take some time, but will be big boys. I think you will like them.

Walt

Quote: Thanks,
For awhile there I was going to cull the whole lot of them because their wings looked all "twisted" and with a gap like the bird pictured. But I waited and now the wings looked perfect even when spread. Some of the youngest are now starting to show the same "issue". I'm trying to learn patience to let a bird show it's true "colors" before reaching for the "hatchet" in a manner of speaking. I keep telling myself that the cockerels just need more time to grow out of their awful gawky stages. The pullets do seem to mature faster and have less "gawky" stages.

Trisha

Walt, Which fluff color is more correct...the pullet in the upper right or the one in the front?
I don't plan on keeping the pullet in the front since others I have are wider but I wondered about the fluff color.

Walt, Which fluff color is more correct...the pullet in the upper right or the one in the front?
I don't plan on keeping the pullet in the front since others I have are wider but I wondered about the fluff color.

The fluff you are seeing should be medium chestnut red. Upper right would be closest to that.The fluff should be the same color as the rest of the bird.

Walt

Thank you Walt. I will soon be reducing my 14 pullets down to six and I will keep that in mind.

I get compliments on the beautiful color and size of the New Hampshires whenever anyone sees them. Here are a couple of pics....

The cockerel relaxing with a couple of pullets...

What do you think of these pullets?

Thank you Walt. I will soon be reducing my 14 pullets down to six and I will keep that in mind.

I get compliments on the beautiful color and size of the New Hampshires whenever anyone sees them. Here are a couple of pics....

The cockerel relaxing with a couple of pullets...

What do you think of these pullets?

thumbsup.gif
pretty

Hopefully next year i will get to post up some of my results from my own selection of breeders and enjoy showing off on here like all ya'll get too do, LOL

When my breeders get done with their molt and get back sharp again I will post them up so all can see what I'm starting with and where I end up. sorta like an adventure story/trip LOL

Jeff (patience my son)

Back
Top Bottom