Get a roo too?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicchick, Feb 10, 2009.

1. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    I just found out my town is OK with roos. They have to be "in the dark" until 7am. 8 am on weekends. hahah. Anyway, should I just start with hens. Do I need a rooster? I have to admit, I like 'em. Since, I am new to this I welcome your opinions! Thx.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Hens don't need a rooster with them to lay eggs.

So, you will have to decide if YOU need the rooster !!

[​IMG]

3. chicchick

chicchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Are they extra trouble? High maintenance? [​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If they free rang at all the roo will keep the ladies in check as well as warn the of any danger. I love having roo. They are keepers of the flock so to speak.

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    my ladies are all hand raised.. my roo was given to me and is a FREAK!! he even sees me and freaks out swaking and flying to the nearest tree limb..

He is going to live a short life at this house.. I want a roo that isnt going to freak..

6. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    Roo's are fun rather you need one or not.

7. chasitypearl

chasitypearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    just my opion i like having a rooster but you dont have too unless one day you want to raise babys from your hens

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How many hens do you plan on having? As Katrinag said, roos are invaluable if you plan to free range at all.
    I adore roosters. They have personalities that really add to the flock dynamics.
    When I'm inside and I hear my rooster crow, I just smile because I know all is right in his little world. When I hear him raising a fuss (you'll learn to dicipher the noises) I know I better get my little hind end out there because something is wrong. He's warned me of stray dogs, an empty waterer, a coop door that's slammed shut and on and on.

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Roosters are great, but first you need to check with your significant other and a few neighbors. They could hate you...I would go to any neighbors that are directly next door, and maybe a few others if they are close in, and tell them you are thinking about getting a rooster. If you get any really negative reactions, I would think twice. If they are hesitant, tell them you are open to feedback on him. Or you could just get one, and when he crows, tell them he was an accident (better to ask for forgiveness tactic....). Just don't get too attached if you try this method. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by