get a roo?

cheri222

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Erie PA
My 5 girls are 10 weeks old. I debated getting a rooster when I got them and decided no. I still keep thinking I want one. (I also think roosters are beautiful) They free range in my fenced yard during the day and it would be nice, also I would like to hatch some eggs. The township says I can have a rooster as long as no one makes a noise complaint. I don't let them out of the coop till after 8am because I work 3rd shift. The coop is at the back of the property built on to the shed with acre's of woods behind it. It is 100 ft from my house and 150 feet from any of the neighbors. Also all my neighbors have central air and keep their windows and doors shut. Do you think I stand a chance of making it work? (I know I would have to quarantine him for a month). Any suggestions on a breed? I have a wellsummer, 2 EE, and 2 partridge cochin's.
Thank You

I have the EXACT situation as you, but I "do" have a rooster. Our neighbors at first didn't like the noise. But they told us if it ever got too loud then they'd tell us.. So far after 4 mouths they are fine... But it is sort of a icky situation with your neighbors.. Especially if you don't like them! It is also hard getting a rooster because he comes with A LOT! everything from crowing to hormones. So your going to have to use a lot of time with that rooster.... But OF COURSE they are sooo cute, and most times nice. He's now my new boyfriend!
lol.png
I just LOVE roosters!

I'd ask your neighbors before you get one. Roosters are very loud at odd hours of the day and night (sometimes). Ask them if they'd have a problem with you getting one. Neighbors will appreciate having some input into a decision that is ultimately going to have an impact on them.

I had a surprise cockerel show up in my last batch of sexed pullets. I normally dispatch male birds as soon as they become a nuisance. So far, he's been behaving himself around the family and the girls seem to like him, so I have kept him around. I ask each of my neighbors every couple weeks if his noise is bothersome, though. I don't want to annoy my neighbors. We live in a great neighborhood and love our neighbors. So out of respect for them I make sure my animals aren't bugging anyone.

Good luck.

We have learned a lot through experience. I hope it may help you make up your mind.

A rooster keeps the hens in order. Without a roster, your hens will still create a pecking order and an alpha hen will be in charge.

He is not much protection from preditors generally. He is an annoyance to your neighbors. He may also tear up your hens backs when mating. And if you are unlucky, you may end up with an aggressive one. Because of this, we have chosen to only have a very mild mannered small Silkie boy.

We give eggs to our neighbors to take the edge off the crowing. Our standard sized roosters crowed all day and sometimes at night. Silkie boy isn't so vocal.

I buy fertilized eggs to hatch rather than having the fuss of keeping roosters. It's made it so we can enjoy our birds without being attacked.

We have asked all the neighbors, even the ones across the street. Everyone was ok with it except one next door who said he wasn't sure if it would bother them or not. Their 3 dogs bark so much that we have put in a 6ft privacy fence and 2 rows of trees between their house and ours.

150 feet from the neighbors is not far considering how loud a roo can be. I have 15 or so roos and they can really get going in the crowing competitions but luckily my neighbors enjoy it like I to. I live in a semi rural area though and most of my neighbors grew up with farm animals and it reminds them of their childhood.

Personally....I enjoy the crowing but I can certainly understand how it could drive some people over the edge.

Do some research and find breeds that are quiter. I have found that my cochins do not crow near as often as my sebrights or my Rocks. The sebrights are small but the LOVE to crow. One of my little guys will even crow while you are holding him!

I hope you can work it out. I love my roos...

One rooster to five hens might result in your hens being overbred with worn off feathers. One option might be getting a smaller rooster.

I love to have the boys around and they will certainly make your hens behave better.

A small rooster will be pretty, hopefully not too noisy AND will provide you with fertile eggs should you want them, (of course).

Sandie

No! Don't get s roo!!!!
hit.gif
Just today one of my neighbors complained.......
hit.gif
My rooster and hens will have to be out of the house in 2 weeks...
hit.gif
hit.gif
Oh man! I'm crying sooo bad.... And nobody wouldn't of said anything if they didn't hear a crow.....
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
OOOOH, I am So sad!!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom