Get a second rooster or ????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Nov 30, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I currently have 13 LF hens and one big ol' rooster.
    I will be adding 25 or so (hopefully) all pullet chicks in the spring. The breeds I plan to add are naked necks, buff orps., sex links, LF cochins, polish, easter eggers, and salmon faverolles.
    The new chickens will have their own coop, but eventually I plan to allow them free range with the current flock. There's plenty of room for everybody.
    IF I end up with all pullets, that will give make my hen to roo ratio 38 to 1. I am not concerned with fertility. My roo's job is mainly as peacekeeper and protector.
    Should I attempt to add another rooster (chick) in with the new flock or allow Thor to handle all the new girls too?
    I'm thinking along the lines of a OEGB rooster or maybe I should pick a roo from another giant breed should Thor and the new roo decide to go round and round?

2. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    you could always try and give him away if it gets bad

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Unless you're getting started chicks or young pullets there's a good chance that one or more of these sexed chicks will be a roo. You may not need to buy a roo on purpose, just wait to see if you get one in your order.

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    There is a chance of that, but I would highly doubt it. I got pretty much exactly what I expected from Cackle and Ideal chicks were right on the money too. I wanted 3 or 4 roos to have a beauty contest with and to insure that at least one would survive, so I ordered 25 pullets and 5 straight run, knowing that at least 2 or 3 of the straight run would be roosters. I got 32 chicks all total and 3 were roosters.
    Personally I think that one rooster is enough, especially if you don't care about fertility, but I do worry about fertility, because when I get a broody, I give her eggs. I never stop her brood. But I guess you can just get the eggs from the coop that had the roo, if you should cross that fence later on.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's what I'm thinking, in case of a broody. I don't think Thor will stop breeding his favorite hens, he's too attached to them. I could always get fertile eggs from them. Right now, out of every dozen eggs I crack open to cook, at least 11 are fertile. Thor is a very active boy.
    I love roosters and really wouldn't mind having a second one.
    By the way, in my Ideal order I asked for 23 pullets and 2 roos. Got five roos. [​IMG]

6. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    So you don't have Zeus anymore? I just read your page and enjoyed the psycology of it..lol you alpha roo, you!

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No, I need to update my page and always manage to forget.
    A dear friend of mine lost her entire flock last year to a pack of stray dogs. She asked me if I would be willing to sell her a few hens, but her DH wanted a roo to protect the girls. I gave her Zeus and two of my hens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by