1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Get The Ticks Out Of Here!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smokeykk, Jul 5, 2011.

1. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a biggg problem. One of my chicks has been getting ticks on his face, and it's really a pain holding him still (he's really skittish)
    and another one of my cockerels has on right on his bottom eyelid, and it looks like he's been trying to get it out. Its all swollen around his eye. Does anyone have a chicken safe idea on how I could prevent more ticks from getting on them? Could I use a flea and tick shampoo or is that poisonous for chickens?

2. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
  3. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hmm, sounds like it could work, but... Any other ideas?

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Guinea Fowl?

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:^^^^this is what I was going to suggest.

Personally though I haven't had a tick problem since getting the chickens. We don't have guineas yet, but I want some.

6. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    Yes guineas work very well on keeping down ticks

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Adding another vote for guineas!

Since we let them and the chickens free range during the day, we hardly ever see a tick in our clearing around the camper. If we hit our woods were none of the birds hang out, we're a meal.

8. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I read that one easy way to remove ticks is to put liquid dish soap on a cotton ball and hold it to the tick for about 20-30 seconds. When you lift the cotton ball off, the tick will be stuck to it. Haven't tried it yet with my dog, as I have a "tick key" that makes removal easy, but it might help for chickens.

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Guineas! They have made a huge difference here in my woods. Not only ticks, but all kinds of insects including spiders and scorpions and all kinds of flying insects. chickens eat them, too, but guineas are the best. They eat bees, wasps, anything that moves. Adams Flea and Tick Dip is an excellent product for any external parasite, including lice/mites infestations, ticks, and fleas. Mix as directed in a 5 gal. bucket of warm water and dip every bird. Spray the coop, nests, etc. with the left over. It smells (not objectional) for a month or so, so it`s working and there is no need to treat again in 10 days as with many products. Treat the birds now, but get yourself some guineas before they stop laying in the Fall..........Pop

10. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    guineas----guineas----guineas---Need I say anymore??????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by