getting 3 wk olds to like us

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
We got 3 wk olds from our breeder instead of two day olds. Now we have a brooder full of terrified feathered nuts. Trying to move slowly and give them treats, but they don't know treats at all.

Any hints on getting these older guys to like us

It might just be me, but I've noticed with mine, at around that age they go through what I call their "hysterical" phase -- for a couple of weeks they are screaming, leaping hysterics. I just keep handing out treats - I sit quietly on the ground & hand out treats & talk to them every day, and eventually they settle down -- then you can't get rid of them, lol!

When it was still cold and I had some in a brooder box in the utility room, I played a radio for them every day while we were at work, so they'd hear the sound of human voices. I think that helped settle them down too.

I like the idea of the radio. Hmmm, they are Buckeyes, I wonder if my husband will let me play talk radio or if he'll insist on his CD's of the Ohio state marching band.
lol.png

There certainly is a spastic phase. We have some White Leghorns who are coming out of that phase. The other day one escaped from their pen in the garage. When my wife went in to see them it came running up to her to see what she was up to. They're all getting like that now.

Mine used to go nuts too, now they follow me arround the yard and they even come up on the pourch and look in the windows to find me. Treats treats and more treats. They'll fall in love with you.

Back
Top Bottom