1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting a 4 month old Silkie chick, should I keep it in the house?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sanna, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    So, I'm going to go get my first Lavender Silkie today! Yay! It is about 4 months old and apparently the chicks grew up in the basement.

My worry is that will she make it outside with my other 8 Silkies in this weather? Lately, it's been closer to 10 degrees at night, although for tonight they are promising temperatures of 35, which is not bad. There is a heat lamp in the coop. Worst case, I can put in a stronger bulb. In another day or two, the temperatures will drop back down to 17 at night. Should I keep the chick in the house for a few days until it warms up or just put her outside with her new friends?

I might be over reacting? I am the biggest sap when it comes to animals, especially mine. lol But being fairly new to the world of chickens and never had a chick live indoors for 4 months, will she be just fine out in the coop with the other 8 chickens and the heat lamp? I'd hate to have something happen to this Lavender that I so desperately wanted and finally found one close enough to home! [​IMG]

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask even if I was being silly. haha

2. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    I think she would be fine outside if you have a heat lamp for her. Congratulations on finding such a beautiful bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by