Getting a dog maybe. Help I need to ask you a question.

As a breeder and groomer I would offer advice in getting a G shepherd. Finding a healthy and well minded shepherd will take some homework! I was raised with some great shepherds but the breed as a whole has been ruined. The dogs I now deal with are unsound and really very hard to deal with. I dont think it matters on male or female. Its sad to see this once wonderful breed become the crippled mentally unstable dogs we see today.
Well you are kinda negative about it.

x2. Very common for this breed to have a high prey drive. No matter what breed of dog you get you must plan on many hours, months, years even, of training. Large dogs are considered pup's until at least two years of age so do not plan on being able to throw a young dog in the yard with the chickens after just a couple months and have your chickens still alive. The time and effort involved are well spent when you turn out a good dog.

Have a place to keep the dog and a place to keep the chickens so there is no access. Take pup with you, on a leash, every time you take care of your birds. That way you control the pup and can correct inappropriate behavior as it happens. And of course reward and encourage good behavior. This way pup gets lots of exposure to the birds along with training and eventually, hopefully, the excitement over the birds is over. Just be aware that not every single dog will make a good ranch dog. A dog with a very high prey drive may never be trustworthy. Never allow pup alone with your birds. If you can raise this pup never having the chance to find that it's fun to run, chase and catch a chicken you are that much farther ahead. Many steps backwards if that does happen.

As far as male or female, I don't think it matters. It all boils down to your diligence in training and the dogs temperment/prey drive.
Ok thank you! Good to know, Yes I will reward good behavior and try and make sure nothing happens to my birds.

Think imprinting if young pup acquired. My preference is about 7 week of age. I use dogs with a prey drive a lot more developed than a German Sheperd and imprinting greatly speeds process. That means lots of exposure between young pup and charges, not less exposure. Otherwise you are setting up for more work. Put pup in with full adult standard sized chickens and begin intervention process on front end.
Alright.

Back
Top Bottom