Getting a Great Pyrenees Tomorrow!

Quote:
LOL...for sure. I've tuned it out finally - and I hope the neighbors have too. No one has ever said anything and our trees and barns keep the noise from travelling too much. He can't help himself, if it moves it deserves a bark...or two or ten or fifty.
wink.png

Adding to what Jim said:

Teach them not to jump on folks when they are small and controllable. You will not be able to teach them when they are large, independent-minded and determined.

In fact, teach them just about everything when they are small and controllable. You'll have to re-teach them after adolescence sets in, but they'll re-learn it quickly. While you're at it, collect a whole arsenal of things for them to learn, over and above what you'd teach the family pet. Pyrs are SMART and get bored easily. Avoiding the bad behavior is easier when you keep 'em on their toes.

If you don't have one, get a coat rake for grooming and get doggy used to being combed. The first summer, ALL the fluff comes off at once. If you have a rake, you can get it off in a week or so. If doggy does not like being groomed and you're fighting with a lousy comb, it takes a looooong time and you'll have dust bunnies the size of tumbleweeds in your kitchen from all the fur.

Luka is the most mellow dog I have ever owned.
One accident in the house, one pencil. and one TV cable chewed on.

His bark at 17 weeks sounds like a cannon,,, I like it.
He doesn't bother the chickens, turkeys, or cat at all.
His personality is aloof, and it doesn't bother me.
He has 20 acres to roam and I could care less if he does tricks.

My GP mix doesn't like her leash either, which is odd, since she is so well trained for everything else. I got her when she was 2 and she was as calm as an old dog already....just layed around and waited to be petted.

When I put on a leash, she starts to pull and I've not been able to break her of this to my satisfaction....tried every method. Then, one day, I just looped the leash over her back and let her carry it....she walks beside me like a Queen when I do this...just as if she were being leash controlled! Go figure!
roll.png

Quote:
AMEN!!! I have a one year old and a five month old! Isabelle and Violet are wonderful. I'm really looking forward to the age when Violet settles down. She is still doing a fair amount of chasing. The pygmy goats don't cut her too much slack, though. She snagged one of my pullets, but I am giving her one more shot. She came from a family who used Pyrs to guard poultry only. Hoping some of her parents' good instincts will kick in soon. In the meantime, we've been loving her and playing as much as we can.

The fences. What drama! We ended up with electric fences. Low strands. That has worked well for us.

Barking. When Violet found her voice, I realized that our girls were going to rouse the neighborhood when they were on alert!

I heard someone say about Pyrenees that they are excellent guards as long as they stay with the animals in their care constantly. If you take them away, they will lose their place in the herd or flock and you'll have problems. I've stuck with this. Our girls are out with the goats. They sleep with the goats and eat with them.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom