Getting a new dog: adult vs adolescent vs puppy?

I have three rescued dogs. I adopted my pit mix when she was 7 months old and she is currently 3 and a half. She is a really good dog - loyal, affectionate, playful, good listener and decent learner. She was CRAZY when I brought her home. She had been found on the street very sick as a puppy and had been in the pound most of her life and was completely unsocialized. I would get another one in a heartbeat, but it did take effort and training to help her get to where she is. I would look for a slightly older dog next time I think. 1.5-3ish.

My other two rescue were both around 2 when I adopted them. They are both pugs. The boy was very calm but was abused and afraid - totally different set of issues, but I knowingly adopted a dog with problems. The girl came from a different place and was super easy to train and transition. Pugs are super cuddly and loving and are also very playful. Sounds smaller than you want but are great indoor dogs that don't need as much exercise as a bigger dog so they are less likely to be bored in the house all day. They do tend to have allergy problems and you have to clean their faces - just for full disclosure but I have always thought they are perfect dogs for kids.

I think it is important to look at the time you can commit and get a dog that can get all of its needs met in that time. I LOVE big awkward dogs but even if they are not super smart they are going to be bored sitting at home all day. I can not commit to what they need. Big dogs in general need daily, significant exercise. My pit is medium I would say, about 65 lbs and if she does not get regular exercise you can see a behavior change and I know that is my fault, not hers.

Most rescues are really good about letting you interact with any dog before you adopt it. Take advantage. Take the dog for a walk around the yard. Most have a room where you can meet. Bring your whole family including your kids and your lab and let everyone interact. Plan on being at the rescue a long time. It is a great chance to interview the dog before you commit. Ask the staff and also the volunteers if they have had any time with the dog you are interested in. Meet a few different dogs. Ask lots of questions and get any history you can just so you can be prepared. I would have a budget for deworming any dog you rescue or get on craigslist.

No matter what dog you get I think it is really important to start working on basic training and on impulse control training the moment you bring them home. Both will help the dog get along with your other animals. Just because the dog is potty trained at someone else's house or someone says they are, don't plan on not having to deal with that. (learned that one the hard way). Introduce the dog to the chickens on a leash. Chicken training is a daily exercise not a one time kind of thing. Let me know if you want some training info and I will PM you.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with and how it goes.

These are my rescues. I can't say enough wonderful things about getting a dog from a shelter.

So......I may have found an English Shepherd breeder less than 30min from me that should be having a litter in the spring......oh dear. I hope they don't mind the very long message I just sent them crammed full of questions.

I would have no problem working with a shelter dog.....but having one that is "crazy" and "completely unsocialized" and trying to address all of those while trying to take care of 3 children is probably not the best choice for myself of the dog. I'm trying to be brutally honest with myself about my capabilities as a dog owner this time around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom