Getting a new foal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
As a newbie to horses, you can't properly do it. It's just that simple. It would take years to write it all, and reading it and doing it are 2 different things. It takes years of hands on training to learn to do it without destroying the horse's future.
sad.png

2x Training a foal is alot of HARD work. Yep it takes a long time to write it all down with different personalities, dispositions, different method for each horse and sometimes what one method that worked for one horse would not work on the other. You would have all kinds of feathers in your hat to get all kinds of lessons to teach your horse.

Write down on a piece of paper WHY you want a foal vs a horse?

Quote:
I would have to say a knowledgeable trainer that lives near you would be the best bet.
There is a lot to learn and understand about training foals.
If you are new to horses I would look for an already trained horse that would suit your needs (trail riding, western pleasure, jumping, etc.)

I would suggest on Buying a horse that is already trained and doesn't spook easily.
Its really not that hard to find a nice horse for someones first horse. You just have to look for the right one.
smile.png

Quote:
Oh...I thought they were the same person! They both live so close together and have such similar names!

Ok....I was kind of confused as well.

Foals are very cute.....but they are a lot of work. As a beginner, if you are absolutely dead set on getting a foal, I would highly recommend that you first research & find a trainer that can properly help you bring this horse along. Also, keep in mind, that you are going to be doing about 3 years worth of ground work with this foal before you will be able to ride it regularly as it takes about that long for the body to be mature enough. Foals, just like children, can go through different phases - your perfectly loveable well behaved foal for the first 12 months can wake up the next day & be a complete brat - almost like real kids have their terrible twos.

If you feel you must get a foal as a first time horse, please find a mentor/trainer who lives close to you and can help you with training and handling. Things can get out of hand very quickly if you are not careful. The best advise I can give you is to remember that what ever it does/learns as a foal it will keep when its full grown. So cute things like rubbing on you or getting in your space, may not seems all that dangerous from a foal, when big can be very dangerous and hard habbits to break. I know when growing up all I wanted was my own foal to train and love, but looking back now I am glad my first horse was an older trained reliable horse for me to learn my mistakes on. I was mad then but glad now. Good luck
smile.png

~Wind~ :

If you feel you must get a foal as a first time horse, please find a mentor/trainer who lives close to you and can help you with training and handling. Things can get out of hand very quickly if you are not careful. The best advise I can give you is to remember that what ever it does/learns as a foal it will keep when its full grown. So cute things like rubbing on you or getting in your space, may not seems all that dangerous from a foal, when big can be very dangerous and hard habbits to break. I know when growing up all I wanted was my own foal to train and love, but looking back now I am glad my first horse was an older trained reliable horse for me to learn my mistakes on. I was mad then but glad now. Good luck
smile.png

Well now i am thinking a Gypsy Stallion. Still unsure​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom