Status
Not open for further replies.

bobwhitelover

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
SOmerset
Hi,
I am tinking about getting a foal as a first time horse and have a couple picked out. Nay advise on how to train them? I am knew to horses and would like to train my own.
Thanks

Wait..I thought you were training your trainers horse? What happened to Toby?

Personally I would NEVER ask a beginner to train a foal. There are entirely too many things that need to be done correctly. If something is not done right, the horse could remember it forever and cause serious issues later in life. Leave foals to the professionals.

Foals require experienced handlers. They of course are cute and adoreable, but they are also incredibly strong and need firm yet understanding guidance.

Since you are new to horses, I would suggest finding a local, reputable stable and taking lessons from them. And then work out a lease or purchase agreement on a horse that is an aged, all-around packer. A been there-done-that kind of horse. You need to develop a good foundation in whatever discipline you choose. Buying a foal and having no idea on how to handle or train it, could possibly (and probably quite likely) end up very bad with you and it both sustaining injuries.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your new passion to the fullest extent!
smile.png

Getting a foal as a first horse (Even though I'm not sure what you mean by that because I was pretty sure you already HAD a horse) is a really bad idea. Speaking from experience, foals can be dangerous, difficult to train, and require a TON of your time. Teaching a foal manners is no easy thing when they are trying to test everything and it is REALLY easy to mess them up. Our foal went through a very playful period, but her idea of playing was bucking and kicking while we were trying to lead her. Thank goodness she grew out of it (Not without constant training) but I got kicked a few times. I hear this is extremely common. She would look at me like "why aren't you playing" but I would be standing there terrified trying not to get a hoof to the face.

My dad is retired and has been training the baby himself. She's been doing great but it has been a lot of work. He is out there with her almost every day and he's been doing groundwork with her since we got her at the age of 1 1/2. We've been lucky because she is a fast learner, but that is also not typical of foals.

It is really nice to have such a friendly horse and it was fun having a baby around (when she wasn't misbehaving, which for a while was not often!) but in retrospect I would probably not do it again any time soon. It is not cheaper, not easier, and there are a lot of opportunities to really ruin a horse that way, especially for a first time owner.

Bad idea! Had a friend that did that and the horse was a mess, untrainable. She bought it as a filly, just weaned because it was cheap and the horse bullied her to no end. Dangerous horse I've trained and got rid of it because it was beyond "repair" in training the horse and it was also beyond my experience with a real problem horse. Never again I would take on another person's horse who raised their first horse as a foal by themselves. A real mess! So the horse suffered a great deal at the end, resulted death.

Unless you have a trainer lined up to teach you to teach the foal, it would be a better investiment than trying to do it on your own. If you can, just find something else that has experience and some miles on it so you can do things safely with the horse.

I am sorry to be rude but i just asked for info about training them not a whole sanario about how i am not experienced! Pls i just asked for info!!!

Quote:
As a newbie to horses, you can't properly do it. It's just that simple. It would take years to write it all, and reading it and doing it are 2 different things. It takes years of hands on training to learn to do it without destroying the horse's future.
sad.png

Last edited:
We can not tell you how to train them because each and every foal is different in disposition, willingness, personality and conformation. Your question was in a very broad way, not telling us what your goals, expectations and agenda you are looking for. I don't know how much experience you have in horses, training or breeding them or in general working with them. You said this will be your first time horse so that explains alot.

Best bet, get a trainer for the foal or work WITH the trainer.

The decision is yours, we gave the advise, so think it over some more and if you are determined, you can go ahead and get the foal. Hope you will be lucky with an easy going foal with a good imprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom