getting a new rabbit! how to bond

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi everyone! i have a three year old rabbit named bella! and i think she could really use a friend! she is not spayed! but im trying to find a vet to do it! i found a neuterd male at a shelter near me! and im going to be going to get him any day now! i have a separate hutch for him to go in! but i just wanted to know if it was a good idea to start bonding them? slowly of course!

I would suggest putting them in separate hutches at first, but right next to each other so they can start getting to know each other through the wire.

Since you are planning to get the female spayed, I would wait until she is recovered from that before trying to have them actually together.

I don't know much about bonding rabbits, because I have only had rabbits that lived in separate cages (but next to each other, so not really alone.)

I don't know if it's a good Idea to get a male for your female. He will try to mate with her
OP said "neutered male." The neutering makes a big difference!
OP is also planning to get the female spayed.
At that point, the genders will not be an issue.

Thank you for your reply’s!! I would actually love to get a female! But I’m worried that they won’t bond at all! I’ve always heard never to get another female? But would I be able to? Even if one is spayed and ones not?

Fixed male and female rabbits can bond. I believe especially if they are fixed, it pretty much comes down to the individual rabbits themselves. All my rabbits were fixed, since they're pets. I've had two males together who were best friends once bonded. Right now I have a male and female who get along great. They bonded pretty quickly with little issues. Lion, my male, can be a pretty big jerk so he could be difficult and mean to Pumpkin my girl, but in the end they became really great buddies. This just shows how different personalities can help or hinder the bonding process.

As I said, each rabbit is different, and so there are chances that some pairs won't ever bond, or some will be way harder and others will be way easier. Once your female bun has recovered from her spaying, which would also give them time to sniff and see each other, I see no reason not to start bonding.

I've never had two females together so I can't speak from experience, but as I said before, if they are fixed that reduces a ton of issues, so unless someone corrects me, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get one.

Back
Top Bottom