Getting a Showgirl Roo.. Need Advice on Coop Changes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CoopCrazy, Nov 15, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Hey Everyone .. I am working on getting my coop ready for Cotton Attack Chickens Showgirl Roo(Cotton The BYC Wizard).. I have mostly standard girls and one PArtridge Bantam... I am planning on reattaching my brooder(small box on right of coop. Its about 4x4) to my coop and Making a home for him and probably my Partridge(poor girl gets beat up by the big girls) until I can get a few more banties.. Hers my coop with the Brooder..
    [​IMG]

Here are my options. Let me know which you would go with..
    Option 1: Make small pop door between brooder and coop wall so the bantams can get away from big chickens.(What size should I make it?) This would have a seperate food, water, roost and nestbox.

Option 2: Use brooder as Bantam Coop and seperate run just for banties.

Option 3: Keep Roo in dog kennel for the first few days then try to integrate into existing flock. Combine both runs to make on huge run?

Any feedback would be greatly accepted.. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Make two runs, but with an access hole only big enough for the partridge and bantams. Bantams will fly out of run anyway if it is not netted overhead. Chooks will only fly out if it is around 4 ft tall or less.

I had one in my garden one day to let her scratch around. It has a 5 ft fence and she jumped up on top of it in one bound! She is a barred rock runt with a permanent limp, and was 4 months old at time. I got her down and took her back to the pen which is 6 ft tall. None have ever jumped or flown out of it yet.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I do have the runs covered with deer netting .. Havent had issues with them trying to fly out.. I am liking the the two run idea as well .. That wya if they want to be with the main flock they can otherwise they can hide out in there own..

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Anybody else have ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by