Getting a turkey....

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Zahboo, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    How much room do they need? Will a lean to type shelter work. I was thinking of just getting one! Let me know.

2. geepy

geepy Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    you can't get just one. They are too much fun. LOL [​IMG]

3. cheraboo

cheraboo Songster

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    Yup. They need a friend so they won't be lonely [​IMG]

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    They are flock animals. Ya gotta have more than one. Actualyl I only have one, but that was not my choice, 2 of his buddies died and one of his "buddies" never hatched [​IMG]

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am planning on getting 2 if the eggs hatch! Any hints on houseing

6. lilchick

lilchick Songster

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    They like to roost high... My hens fly up into rafters of their barn each night and since the toms got heavy they started roosting lower.
    It is not good for them to roost on the ground at night.....

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I have a Hoop coop, made from two cattle panels and tarps (inside the run). they roost on a "saw horse" inside and the hen lays in a box on the ground. The whole front of the shelter is open. We don't have real cold temperatures here, but I have read several that say theirs sleep outside even in the cold. But they do have to have a roost and prefer a 4x4. 2x4 is too small.

8. dbone

dbone In the Brooder

I built a 4x4 coop with approx 10 x 8ft run. they seem to like it...but they love it when i let them out to graze. I am afraid the 4x4 pen may be too small, thinking about an add on. I read somewhere they like 5 square feet...if that is the case them i am alright with 16 square feet.

I am sure some one here has a better answer for you, as these are my first go at the turkeys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: